Review by exactly_dm -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
exactly_dm
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exactly-dm.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by exactly_dm -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by exactly_dm »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book focuses on the expansion project for the Panama Canal. An event of this scale has surely attracted the attention of the big players. And by saying big, I mean enormous, as big as it can get, as the most influential countries get involved in the competition of proposing the best project and getting over the control of the Expansion. Yet the story doesn't only build up around this.

Strategic decisions, political strife, illegal hidden agreements, difficult business decisions, use of authority and power for one's benefit, law, finance: all these notions are interrelated and develop around the story of love, passion towards your work, friendship, difficult parenthood and simple human relations: and if you still doubt whether this book is cool, I have 2 words for you: Secret Agents 8)

Enter Max Burns, the intelligence of the project, yet a naïve pawn on the chess board with 4 main players: the American Government, a newly formed Secret Organization, the Chinese Ambassador, and Francisco Paco Roco, the CEO of CISCO and a tyrant father of Max's spineless friend Godfredo. The latter is the reason Max is even involved with the expansion project in the first place. Yet Max and his colleague Alexandra Wong is here to get things done and doesn't really care what happens on the other fronts.
I only know as long as you work the best you can, the rest of it? It's just... It's just the rest of it.
I wonder whether he would have said these words if he knew what was going to happen towards the end of his story. Yet... No spoilers. don't worry :wink:

Organized in 73 short chapters, the styling has slightly reminded me of that of Dan Brown, if he was writing about a different topic (although he's not alien to writing about Secret Agencies). There are several parrallel stories told from different character's name. All are organized around the same subject and build up the atmosphere for the consensus. I remember seeing an opinion, that the book only opens up towards the end. I couldn't disagree more, as the book never got boring. Each chapter was where it was meant to be and gave some information, that would later be used in the storyline. I wouldn't also say, that the things got tense in the end. To me the tempo was constant and the story was being told consecutively.

However, this book was not a quick read for me. I need to give Christoph Martin credit: the language wasn't full of boring and complicated terminology one can expect from a book full of scientific and legal aspects, not even to mention the secret agencies and politics. The editors also did a great job, as the book could be read flawlessly. Yet, the intertwined topics, switches between the big players, complicated storylines to follow: all this requires some focus if you want to truly understand and enjoy the read. Which I absolutely did, thus I give this book 4 out of 4 stars .

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like exactly_dm's review? Post a comment saying so!
aussiebooklover
Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by aussiebooklover »

Wow, I agree with every word of your great review! :) ... I just LOVED every aspect of this book! The storyline, the characters (especially the female ones!) and the unexpected climax! Martin kept me guessing who was bad and who was not ... and I was always wrong!
4/4 is well deserved ...
exactly_dm
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exactly-dm.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by exactly_dm »

Haha, true! Sofia still keeps me intrigued. Thanks for your response :)
testing123456
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by testing123456 »

Great review!
frederickmintah
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by frederickmintah »

Hey I do agree with you to the point.You nailed it well and I kept wondering about the story line it's cool.
I love the book and honestly it deserves 4 Stars.Sometimes I wonder which of the character was the bad nut as I tried to figure it out.Its surprising that I couldn't guess it right anytime I tried. I loved the characters and each individual role they played.
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

Exactly, your review is really on point. Great review.

-- 05 Aug 2017, 23:07 --

Breaking is down in key points will really move to read even more.
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

I love the book and honestly deserves 4 stars.Great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”