Review by riazziea -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by riazziea -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by riazziea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Violent murder, missing cufflinks, clues on a computer, secret informant, and a possible stalker. All of these things are crammed into an eye opening detective story written by Brian O'Hare.

One would hope that moving precincts and gaining a promotion would be the highlight of one's month, but in the case of Sergeant Stewart this move in her life just leads to chaos. A murder happening on a Tuesday night, nothing odd there.... a second murder happening the next Tuesday, at the same time, and the same cause of death... now that's suspicious. This book introduces a broad cast of characters that all seem to have slippery alibis. Can Sergeant Stewart and her Chief, Sheehan, fit all the pieces together before the next Tuesday and another possible murder? Is Stewart's secret informant trustworthy? Can Sewart figure out who is stalking her? All these questions, and more, arise and become answered in O'Hare's thrilling novel The 11:05 Murders.

The 11:05 Murders is the second book of the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries, but can be easily read on it's own, and without introduction. Every character is introduced and developed with precise detail. At times this makes the reader question who the murderer is. Once you think you have pin pointed the culprit, someone else seems guilty as well. If you enjoy "who done it?" books this one is a winner. No page is left without more questions arising.

I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. While this is a well written book, the reason I have to give it a 3 is that this particular book is set in Ireland, as well as having an author who is familiar with the vernacular of this region. Because of this, some of the conversations which used slang were hard to follow, or how certain situations would be obvious to those who have lived in Ireland but not those living elsewhere. Besides the Ireland vernacular, most of the time O'hare used complex words. While it fits to a certain degree, it felt over-accentuated and made it seem like the author was trying too hard to make his work sound educated.

Along with the vocabulary, there were times that the author seemed to over describe situations or physical appearances. O'Hare certainly has an eye for detail, but there are times when it seems redundant. There is almost no room left for the reader's own imagination.

Overall, though, I thought this was a heart racing and engaging read once you get into it. O'Hare does a brilliant job of keeping the reader on their toes with a curve ball just ahead. Anyone looking for a book that makes you think while also giving you the chills, this is the book for you.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like riazziea's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi there, riazziea! I can understand the difficulty with the Irish brogue. I am right now reading a story with a Scottish character and I can only scratch my head whenever she speaks.

I hope I will survive The 11:05 book as I plan to read it soon. I am totally curious how they were able to pinpoint an exact time. Many of the murder stories I've read only give an estimate of the time of death. Maybe the Irish are more adept at timing.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Good luck with that book you are reading Miriam!

Hey Riazziea. :) I enjoy books with unpredictability, so this sounds good, I think my mom would especially love this, she enjoys detective and forensic elements.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”