Review by Book Savant -- 30th Century: Escape

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Book Savant -- 30th Century: Escape

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century Escape by Mark Kingston Levin is a book in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy genre and the first part of the 30th Century trilogy.

The story begins in the distant future where humanity is in a fight for survival against genetically enhanced beings called Syndos. It is the 30th century, and Captain Jennifer Hero is the commander of a Secret Society(SS) of humans whose mission is to travel to the 27th century and attempt to correct the flawed genetic makeup of the Syndos. Captain Hero successfully sends her team out to the 27th century but in a last minute change of plans, she herself travels 900 years back in time to the 21st century to start a new life.

She arrives on a deserted Polynesian island and survives four months before being rescued by a team of marine scientists led by Professor Marty Zitonick. They are the first humans she meets in the 21st century, and develops very close friendships with some of them, eventually even falling in love with Professor Zitonick. The rest of the story deals with Jennifer's struggle to build a life in the 21st century, her academic exploits, and her relationships, some of which are extremely passionate, involving both men and women.

What happens to the Secret Society and their mission? Does Jennifer ever re-unite with her team? We find out at the end of the book.

The story starts with an interesting plot involving a futuristic battle for survival, elements of time travel and a main character with a very interesting name--Jennifer Hero. However, the plot seems to unravel with Jennifer's arrival in the 21st century. For starters, it is never quite clear why Jennifer parts ways with her team and travels to a different time. It was also surprising to see the ease with which she adapts to the social framework of a civilization living 900 years before her time. Except for hiding her strength and playing down her intelligence, she seems to have no trouble at all! She conveniently uses amnesia as a cover story to guard her secrets and lack of background, but the people closest to her accept this a little to readily and never seem suspicious or surprised about anything. The secondary characters in the story just pass through Jennifer's life and have no stories of their own. These characters could have been better fleshed out. We do not find out what happens to the mission against the Syndos until the very end of the book and I felt it was wrapped up rather hastily.

The parts of the book I enjoyed reading were the detailed descriptions of the beautiful locations in the Pacific islands, though I felt the pictures and maps were unclear and superfluous. The part where Jennifer Hero defends her dissertation in dark energy physics is written elaborately and passionately, and the author has tried to explain some very complicated concepts in layman terms.

I felt that there was a lack of emotion in storytelling and the conversations appeared stilted at times. Also for the most part, the story deviates from the initial interesting plot. For these reasons I give 30th Century Escape 2 out of 4 stars.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Book Savant's review? Post a comment saying so!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I like your detailed review, it seems that I already read book. That book sounds amazing and time travel makes me wonder if that is really true. Good job! Cheers!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
alonge olakanmi
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by alonge olakanmi »

It is an interesting book
stella kulola
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by stella kulola »

very interesting book.. this is a must read
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Futuristic books always grab my attention, its too bad about the lack of emotion. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
CHRISTINE LOKO
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by CHRISTINE LOKO »

The review of the book makes me eager to read it whole...a very nice book indeed
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

If you are a Sci-fi fan and like futuristic books you would enjoy reading this one!

-- 25 Nov 2017, 12:31 --

If you are a Sci-fi fan and like futuristic books you would enjoy reading this one!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Hmm... I pass. I'm not into erotic science fiction and a review of spoiler alerts. But, thanks for your input!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

ValBookReviews wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 20:22 Hmm... I pass. I'm not into erotic science fiction and a review of spoiler alerts. But, thanks for your input!
Well-- I would not call it erotic science fiction- rather a sci-fi story with a few badly written erotic scenes. And the review does not contain spoilers. You would have to read it to find out!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Manali_DC wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 21:19
ValBookReviews wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 20:22 Hmm... I pass. I'm not into erotic science fiction and a review of spoiler alerts. But, thanks for your input!
Well-- I would not call it erotic science fiction- rather a sci-fi story with a few badly written erotic scenes. And the review does not contain spoilers. You would have to read it to find out!
Thank you. But, no thank you! Just my opinion.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Captain Jennifer is the protagonist who is hero of secret society agents in the 30th century. Syndos is characterized by a race of genetically modified humans who consider the natural human beings as inferior generation and want to rub them from this world. Jennifer hero has a mission to enable naturals to virus the Syndos with a genetic code to save mankind from destruction caused by immorality of genetically modified humans (Syndos). Thanks for your great review.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 16:35 Captain Jennifer is the protagonist who is hero of secret society agents in the 30th century. Syndos is characterized by a race of genetically modified humans who consider the natural human beings as inferior generation and want to rub them from this world. Jennifer hero has a mission to enable naturals to virus the Syndos with a genetic code to save mankind from destruction caused by immorality of genetically modified humans (Syndos). Thanks for your great review.
Yes!! That's the mission Jennifer Hero is entrusted with! The book makes you think that maybe genetically modified humans are not such an impossibility or a figment of imagination-- maybe we are indeed headed that way!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”