Review by Gingerbo0ks -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Gingerbo0ks -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka is a story told through the eyes of Sabre, an autism assistance dog. He describes his adventures with his companion, Philip, as they enter a secret world through a passage in their swimming pool. The passage leads them to a place that can be described as a mix of ancient and modern Greece. Whilst exploring they meet with the philosopher Aristotle, and Philip has the chance to speak with him.

I was interested in reading this story as it is written by an autistic young man who identifies as non-verbal. People with autism perceive the world differently to others. As someone that has family members that have autism, I thought it would be nice to read something from this point of view. This book is a short read with around 40 pages and can be read in one sitting.

I liked how the story was told from Sabre’s perspective as it was refreshing to read from the view of a dog. I thought it was cute how he referred to his time with Philip as an “adventure”. Their bond is very special.

The story is inspiring. Whilst reading the conversations between Philip and Aristotle, I was reminded how important it is for us to learn and develop our knowledge. The book contains many words of wisdom. One quote in particular that stood out to me was;
“An important part of exploring and discovering the world of knowledge is to inspire others. Everyone has a unique perspective. Each person’s unique perspective is important”
I would be interested in reading another story from the point of view of Sabre. I would happily read something by this author again as I feel this short story is just a taste of his creativity.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not encounter any spelling or grammatical errors. Although it is brief, it is inspiring, unique and left me feeling good.

I would recommend That Place of Knowledge to teenagers and adults. It would work well for teenagers as an introduction to philosophy, but the subject matter may be too heavy for younger readers. It could be used to start a conversation with younger people about autism. Adults could take a moment out of their day to read the story and see the world through a different view. Philip Alan Shalka states that it is important to inspire others. I believe he has done that with That Place of Knowledge.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gingerbo0ks's review? Post a comment saying so!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I've just read Aimy's review on the same book, so I wanted to see your take on it. I think I'll get it. I don't think I've ever read a book from a dog's POV :)

Loved your review, btw, I can see that you truly enjoyed reading the book.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

You are right: This book indeed has many words of wisdom. I like your recommendation that this book can be a good introduction to philosophy for teenagers.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Excellent review. I catch up the story. Seems you enjoyed reading it. Knowledge is power. It helps millions of people. Through the knowledge of the people of long ago, we are the one who enjoy it now. Thanks for that inspiring review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks very much for your comments and kind feedback @kislany @jentomarong and @Aimy :D

Hope you enjoy the book if you decide to read it if you haven't already. I would have liked to have seen more from Sabre the dog but maybe the author will write another!?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I enjoyed reading the review. Thanks for such a nice review ?
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

sounds interesting. I think "that place of knowledge" has a lesson for us all. Thanks for the review,Ginger.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks LadyClaire. I agree, I think every reader could take away some wisdom from this short story :)
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

kislany wrote:I've just read Aimy's review on the same book, so I wanted to see your take on it. I think I'll get it. I don't think I've ever read a book from a dog's POV :)

Well, in the book, the dog's POV is like that of a human. In the case of Sabre, it's that of a best friend, actually. Without knowing that Sabre is a dog, you wouldn't know the difference if the POV is human or dog based on the dog's words.
-rk
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

raikyuu wrote:
kislany wrote:I've just read Aimy's review on the same book, so I wanted to see your take on it. I think I'll get it. I don't think I've ever read a book from a dog's POV :)

Well, in the book, the dog's POV is like that of a human. In the case of Sabre, it's that of a best friend, actually. Without knowing that Sabre is a dog, you wouldn't know the difference if the POV is human or dog based on the dog's words.
I agree and disagree. There are subtle hints there, and the reader knows he is a dog and can use their imagination. However on reflection there was an opportunity to make the dog personality shine through a bit more which would have been more fun.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book reminded me that no matter the situation, one shouldn't feel so helpless.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks for reading my review Mercy Bolo, it's an uplifting story :)
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems very interesting & different . Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Wow! This sounds really exciting! I used to have dreams about a secret passage way in the pool when I was little. A family member of mine has autism and is non-verbal, and I also think that it would be cool to read something from that perspective. Great review!
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Kitkat3 wrote:Wow! This sounds really exciting! I used to have dreams about a secret passage way in the pool when I was little. A family member of mine has autism and is non-verbal, and I also think that it would be cool to read something from that perspective. Great review!
Thanks very much for your comments Kitkat3 :)
I think you'd definitely enjoy this story in that case.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”