Review by The Researcher -- The Dancing Barber

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Review by The Researcher -- The Dancing Barber

Post by The Researcher »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:Interesting to see your honest review. I've just started to read this and I must confess it appealed partly because it is set in Bradford (UK), a city I know! I'll have to see how it goes as I read on ...
Please read on. I am eager to read your views once you finish it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

First, I'd like to congratulate you for finishing this book. Dang, your review made me never want to get close to this book and you survived reading it all until the end! Thank you for sharing this honest and well thought review. You did an incredible job!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
The Researcher

Post by The Researcher »

Czarmaine AM wrote:First, I'd like to congratulate you for finishing this book. Dang, your review made me never want to get close to this book and you survived reading it all until the end! Thank you for sharing this honest and well thought review. You did an incredible job!
Thank you Czarmaine for your kind words. I did not leave it the mid as I am unable to not finish a book once I have started it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
HappyDays001
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by HappyDays001 »

I just finished reading this book. It wasn't dull, but it was overlong. I actually enjoyed it and think others would also enjoy it if they give it a chance. It started pretty slowly, but that may be because the author wanted to illustrate the humdrum lives of the characters before all hell broke loose.
You are a good reviewer, but I, and others in my local book club think you are wrong to be so critical in this case. We think it is almost as good as To Kill a Mockingbird - But we know that Harper Lee's bestseller that is loved by millions is on your 1-star shelf. :(
Last edited by HappyDays001 on 25 Aug 2017, 11:11, edited 2 times in total.
The Apeman
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by The Apeman »

HappyDays001 wrote:I just finished reading this book. It wasn't dull, but it was overlong. I actually enjoyed it and think others would also enjoy it if they give it a chance. It started pretty slowly, but that may be because the author wanted to illustrate the humdrum lives of the characters before all hell broke loose.
You are a good reviewer, but I, and others in my local book club think you are wrong to be so critical in this case. We think it is almost as good as To Kill a Mockingbird - But we know that you also awarded Harper Lee's bestseller a one star review.
Totally agree! This is a good book, and I urge anyone interested to give it a go. I wouldn't say it was anywhere near as good as To Kill a Mockingbird, but it is certainly worth a read. I loved it. I'd give To Kill a Mockingbird 4/4, and The Dancing Barber 3/4 - but that's just my opinion.

-- 25 Aug 2017, 11:03 --
The Researcher wrote:
ButterscotchCherrie wrote:Interesting to see your honest review. I've just started to read this and I must confess it appealed partly because it is set in Bradford (UK), a city I know! I'll have to see how it goes as I read on ...
You should definitely read on. I read this book on the train ride to work over the course of a few weeks, and it was so funny that I couldn't help laughing out loud. Some scenes were so vivid that they are seared onto my memory. There are a lot of characters, and they are all there for a reason. The author doesn't leave any loose ends. I actually bought the paperback - so I'm sure The Researcher thinks I need a psychiatrist - and I genuinely loved it!
The Researcher

Post by The Researcher »

HappyDays001 wrote:I just finished reading this book. It wasn't dull, but it was overlong. I actually enjoyed it and think others would also enjoy it if they give it a chance. It started pretty slowly, but that may be because the author wanted to illustrate the humdrum lives of the characters before all hell broke loose.
You are a good reviewer, but I, and others in my local book club think you are wrong to be so critical in this case. We think it is almost as good as To Kill a Mockingbird - But we know that Harper Lee's bestseller that is loved by millions is on your 1-star shelf. :(
You are right happydays001 that To kill a Mocking bird is on my one shelf star and yes it is loved by millions. But sometimes millions like to follow millions and hence a chain reaction starts. As I have stated earlier different people react differently to the same stimulus. You may think I am wrong and I may think so about you but it depends on what speaks to my heart and what not. Just because someone else may like to give it a 4 star, I cannot because then I will not be honest in my assessment.

-- 25 Aug 2017, 12:09 --
The Apeman wrote:
You are a good reviewer, but I, and others in my local book club think you are wrong to be so critical in this case. We think it is almost as good as To Kill a Mockingbird - But we know that you also awarded Harper Lee's bestseller a one star review.
Totally agree! This is a good book, and I urge anyone interested to give it a go. I wouldn't say it was anywhere near as good as To Kill a Mockingbird, but it is certainly worth a read. I loved it. I'd give To Kill a Mockingbird 4/4, and The Dancing Barber 3/4 - but that's just my opinion.

-- 25 Aug 2017, 11:03 --
The Researcher wrote:
You should definitely read on. I read this book on the train ride to work over the course of a few weeks, and it was so funny that I couldn't help laughing out loud. Some scenes were so vivid that they are seared onto my memory. There are a lot of characters, and they are all there for a reason. The author doesn't leave any loose ends. I actually bought the paperback - so I'm sure The Researcher thinks I need a psychiatrist - and I genuinely loved it!
No ape-man I do not think you need a psychiatrist. Infact it happens. There have been some books that other people found mediocre but I found them okay to read. So it differs from person to person.Its like that some people love sushi and some pizza and some both.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Finally finished reading and reviewing it! My review is at the link below.

I found it quite difficult to rate because my experience was mixed. Certain strands were intriguing and I read on eagerly to find out what happened. The more I read though, the more fed up I got with all the disgusting "humour". Plus, I love small furry animals, so I didn't like what happened to them at all.

I share Klem's taste in tea, but this book is not in line with my taste in humour.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
The Researcher

Post by The Researcher »

Yeah. The same happened with me. Going to check your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”