Review by juliusotinyo -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health tips, Myths and Tricks: a physician guide, by Morton E. Tavel was released in 2015 by Brighton publishing LLC. The author, a physician, is based in Indiana USA. Do you ever wonder about the health benefits of dark chocolate, coffee, the best weightloss regime? If so then this is the book for you. The author covers these topics including best proven remedies for common ailments and debunks some age old myths and scams.

The book is divided into 3 sections; health tips, myths and tricks spread over 62 chapters. The health tips section offers medically proven, insightful methods of managing common ailments, such as diabetes and obesity. The myth section debunks popular health fads such as detox regimes and with references, offer medically accepted alternatives. Finally, the tricks section discusses devious treatments such as fake medicine and unfounded claims made by quacks and how to avoid them.

The author takes a scientific and self proven approach in evaluating his points. Scientific methods demand proof with constant analysis using approved methods to authenticate a claim. I still beg to differ on his stance in adoption of alternative medicine to which he criticises. All conventional medicine are either synthetic analogues and/or direct natural extracts of bioactive compounds. The same principle is applied in alternative medicine which has been used for thousands of years. Despite recent advances in modern medicine to which I acknowledge, I believe alternative therapies still hold promise in health management and treatment. This is especially true in areas around Asia and Africa where both are applied with remarkable success in some cases like Asthma (personally, modern medicine didn't help). These alternative therapies differ demographically and the best solution to determine there efficacy is stricter regulation and continuous research. I believe outright opposition is counterproductive, consider the case of the Malaria wonder drug Artemether. For many years Chinese medicine used it's extracts to treat Malaria and only recently has it been adopted in modern medicine. Modern medicine has at times relied on folk cures to discover a wide range of medically bioactive compounds.

Though the book's contents appear tailored for a localised audience, given the unfamiliar scams and products, it still offers valuable insights on select popular topics. These include the genetically modified food debate, food contamination even management of heartburn were particularly useful and relatable.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would not rate it any higher due it's outright opposition of alternative therapy. However, I'd not speak for it's intended audience as there are many unfounded claims worldwide and I only speak from personal experience. There was some important points on food contamination especially brown rice to which I strongly approved.

I'd recommend this book to diabetes, heart, hypertension patients or people conscious of related ailments and those seeking clarification on genetically modified food debate. I'd however not recommend it to people who don't tolerate opposition to alternative therapy and medicine.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

The best weight loss regime and benefits of dark chocolate? You have got me there. Nice review. I will definitely look it up.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Julez wrote:The best weight loss regime and benefits of dark chocolate? You have got me there. Nice review. I will definitely look it up.
Believe me, it works, from my own personal experience. I lost 28kgs in 2 years by simply jogging 5 kilometers per day. Patience and discipline is key.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I'd really love to read about the devious tricks and fake medicine. Health is very important to me. Thank you for this review Julius. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:I'd really love to read about the devious tricks and fake medicine. Health is very important to me. Thank you for this review Julius. :)
hi, you are welcome. but I did not like many parts of this book You wont be familiar with many of the scams and tricks in this book unless you come from Indiana, USA...or maybe if the products are available in your country.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I read your review with interest because I've also reviews this book and I did give it 4 out of 4 stars. I do agree that it is mostly written from a non-alternative healing point of view, however I think it does have quite a lot going for it. But your review was well crafted and on point. Good job.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

kislany wrote:I read your review with interest because I've also reviews this book and I did give it 4 out of 4 stars. I do agree that it is mostly written from a non-alternative healing point of view, however I think it does have quite a lot going for it. But your review was well crafted and on point. Good job.
Hi Kislany, I appreciate your comments. I wrote this review slightly biased. I am pro-alternative care and all the other points I made were from my own personal experience; both in my professional life as a researcher and in my personal life as an athlete. There were some good points but I disagree with most of the book. There was also quite alot of unfamiliar scams and tricks, possibly unique to the author's location.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Yeah, I wouldn't like a book that's not open to alternative care either.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Izesicle wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't like a book that's not open to alternative care either.
Yeah, I mean even Homeopathy, Chiropody is trained in world renowned Universities these days. The author was against them. Homeopathy was used on my childhood asthma after conventional care failed-and it ended over 25 years ago.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am happy to hear the voice of one who benefited from alternative medicine. It just shows that modern medicine does not have all the answers.

As to your daily regimen of 5km-a-day runs, you call that easy! I call it torture haha. That's why I'm overweight, I suppose.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Miriam Molina wrote:I am happy to hear the voice of one who benefited from alternative medicine. It just shows that modern medicine does not have all the answers.

As to your daily regimen of 5km-a-day runs, you call that easy! I call it torture haha. That's why I'm overweight, I suppose.
Hah! Molina, its only hard when you begin. I'd interned before as a soldier so I caught up quickly. Losing weight is a strict schedule, no compromise...

Btw, I've gone up to 12km per day 8)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

12 kms! That'll kill me for sure haha!

See more of you in the forums, juliusotinyo!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Miriam Molina wrote:12 kms! That'll kill me for sure haha!

See more of you in the forums, juliusotinyo!
Honestly, its only hard when you begin...
See you soon.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

for a book on health,I don't think I would last 62 chapters. usually, I prefer a book of this genre to be shorter. great review julius
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Bookiegalke,
Catchy name btw. Can't remember why I didn't rate this book 1/4. But just try it out, I'll be keen to see your opinions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”