Review by jimthorne2 -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jimthorne2 -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post by jimthorne2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Border Post 99: No Man’s Land, Kedar Patankar tells the story of two soldiers ordered to occupy military positions alone in the no man’s land between India and Pakistan. Each soldier, though posted alone, has his own story and adventure while at their single post.

Lieutenant Sharma of the Indian army is fresh out of officer training, and we learn of his fears and frustrations on a first assignment on his own but with contact with military command. The post is lonely, yet excitement arrives when Shamar encounters a lone Pakistani soldier, Captain Khan, with a similar assignment from his military command. Shamar takes his responsibility seriously, and although instructed not to shoot his enemy, he proceeds to carry out a battle strategy. Khan is an experienced soldier and reacts to Shamar’s attacks. The story unfolds as another enemy threatens both soldiers and they devise a survival strategy. The author cleverly closes the tale with a conclusion that gives the reader surprising satisfaction.

I like the fascinating description of each of the main characters which parallel their lives through their family backgrounds that neither one learns of until toward the end of the tale. I like the way the author brilliantly portrays the suspense of soldiering for an individual. This book gives the reader insights into the way soldiers have to cope with their assignments even as they tackle life’s problems which can be tricky. It becomes apparent that there are no simple solutions but individual efforts are worth the effort. As a reader, I found myself drawn to one person and then to another with a growing understanding of each character’s point of view. Like the characters, I dislike the careless disregard that top military commands have for the individual soldier.

The writer immediately attracts the reader’s attention and builds a case for him or her to keep reading. The reader will be pleasantly surprised with the depth and breadth of a narrative which appeals to someone who is interested in the way military people cope with their lives. This book is for someone who wants to understand how the military operates at a personal more than a military level.

The organization of this book draws the reader into each character’s story and family history with parallels that are striking. The pace of the action is enhanced by sub plots that keep the characters interacting with one another. The dramatic ending is strong. The perspective of no man’s land fits into a modern understanding of two nations in tension at a political level yet with boots on the ground that must cope with reality. The tone of the author’s writing is personal and draws the reader into the thoughts of the characters involved. Both narrative and dialogue skillfully bring the reader closer and closer to two people who get to know one another.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone interested in soldering or military personnel. The book is well written and focuses on the personal side of military actions which are often confused by the soldiers who are expected to obey orders without question although both those who give orders and those who receive them know that there is more to military command than logic.

Border Post 99
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jimthorne2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jim Thorne
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

Thank you for your review. This is a good guide on how to talk about how the reviewer related to the characters. Feel free to check out my review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Thanks Izesicle. I think that we neglect the fact that soldiers are people with emotions, needs, and ideas. This book is but one antidote to the current bland genre.
Jim Thorne
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I couldn't agree more with you Jim, I enjoyed reading about the soldiers background and their various coping mechanisms. Thanks for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

One thing I did notice about this particular book. It made me wonder what I would do in a similar situation. Not many books do that to me but I take this as a sign of good writing. Maybe good writing has to be linked to good reading?
Jim Thorne
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

This book serve as a lesson of peace to everyone.
Great review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”