Review by Gikonyo Caroline -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Gikonyo Caroline
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Lost in the reflecting pool
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Review by Gikonyo Caroline -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by Gikonyo Caroline » 20 Jul 2017, 10:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From drift to shift: How change can bring true meaning and happiness is a non-fictional book authored by Jody B Miller. Jody, who is fondly referred to as the work happiness expert, is a professional job and life coach and executive recruiter with over twelve years’ experience helping thousands of people find true meaning and happiness in work and life. With this vast experience she is best placed to write this book.  

From drift to shift is an emotive four-chapter book narrating the lives of seven individuals, the author and one tribe who have experienced life altering shifts. Two battled cancer; two were involved in tragic accidents leaving one of them paraplegic. One was neglected as a child and two were raised in abusive homes resulting in depression, low self-esteem, feelings of shame and guilt. This shift process addressing the why, the when, the how and the aftermath allows the reader to see the narrators go on a self-discovery journey to find true joy and happiness in their work and life.

Say you come from a challenging background such as one with absentee or abusive parents, then Serita and Reid Coxs’ stories will help you rise above your past, live out your dreams and reach your full potential. Or perhaps you or a loved one is battling cancer or any other debilitating, life threatening illness, Emilee Garfield’s heart wrenching story will inspire and challenge you to wake up the warrior in you and fight for your life, your dreams and your loved ones. And if you or your loved ones have gone through a near death experience such as a tragic accident that perhaps left you paraplegic, then Andy Wirth and Darren Quinns’ traumatic accidents will inspire and teach you that life sometimes lets you face a giant such as the biblical Goliath so you can discover the David  in you. Perhaps you and your partner have tried everything possible to have children, to no avail and adoption now becomes an option. Sloan Walsh‘s story will  renew your hope as you journey with her through this process. Suppose you exemplify society’s success status symbols with the perfect family, job, money, power and material wealth but are falling apart on the inside. Deep down you feel empty, depressed, lonely and unhappy. Jerry Collonna and Manoj Chalams’ stories will reveal to you the true definition of success which is finding your purpose in life-something you love and do for the benefit of others. Or perhaps you are at a crossroads in life, desperately needing a break to do some soul searching. By all means do get away and like the author, a several weeks’ stay in the deep amazon forest may be all you need to take destiny decisions.

I loved the stories in the book because stories paint mental pictures that enabled me connect and relate to the lives of story tellers. The author aptly narrates the stories in first and third person interchangeably yet they flow seamlessly, which is admirable. When told in first person the story is more authentic and relatable. When told in third person it breaks the monotony. I loved that the author also shares her personal stories indicating that she is not only knowledgeable but has experienced shifts which gives the content more credibility. The use of rhetoric questions is also great because I was able to reflect on and internalize the book’s content. I also loved the use of authoritative research or evidence to support her points. The quotes are memorable.  

Unfortunately, I didn’t like the occasional vulgar language in the book, it is offensive. The author has used jargon such as inchoate, conflate, traipsing and ennui, making the content incomprehensible. There are grammatical errors in the book such as: ‘modeled’ instead of ‘modelled’, ‘Serita is matter-of-fact and emotionless’ instead of ‘Serita is as a matter-of-fact emotionless’ ,‘How could it when you started out faced with forgotten?’ instead of ‘How could it when she started out as forgotten?’, ‘They both came from no money.’ instead of ‘They came from a financially challenged background.’ ‘A living death .’ instead of ‘A near-death experience’  

I would recommend this book to anybody who feels stuck, unhappy or unfulfilled at work or in life, or anyone in search of their life’s purpose or going through a significant change in their lives.    

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammatical errors in the book.  

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gikonyo Caroline's review? Post a comment saying so!

Gikonyo Caroline
2017 Reading Goal: 150
Currently Reading: Lost in the reflecting pool
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Gikonyo Caroline » 03 Jan 2018, 05:19

it is great to see my very first review published though I feel it was quite unfair to take this long to have this review published since I submitted it in July and I was published in December.

N_R
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R » 05 Jan 2018, 00:30

Wow thanks for this review - I am not always a fan of self-help books but this one sounds like it is more about inspiration and getting people to keep hope or faith alive.... a little different from changing yourself but more a move towards accepting. Will go on my 'to read' list!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Cotwani » 07 Feb 2018, 14:51

I love inspirational stories and seeing people triumph against all odds. This book sounds like these. Thanks for the great review!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Cotwani » 07 Feb 2018, 14:56

Gikonyo Caroline wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 05:19
it is great to see my very first review published though I feel it was quite unfair to take this long to have this review published since I submitted it in July and I was published in December.
Sorry about that. There was probably a problem since publishing a review doesn't usually take this long.

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal: 18
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Eva Darrington » 09 Feb 2018, 16:28

Gikonyo Caroline wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 10:14

I would recommend this book to anybody who feels stuck, unhappy or unfulfilled at work or in life, or anyone in search of their life’s purpose or going through a significant change in their lives.    
Thanks for the good review. I agree the book will be beneficial to some who are wanting inspirational stories. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I appreciate your review. Very thorough. Thank you.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”