Official Review: Bitroux by Jordan Harcourt-Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
miafbatista
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Bitroux by Jordan Harcourt-Hughes

Post by miafbatista »

First of all, I want to thank you for putting together such a lovely review. Sci-fi isn't really my "go-to" genre but as I was reading your review, it has made me interested in picking this book up. From what I gathered, I feel like it also talks about the human nature, as you mentioned, even if the main charater's niece seems like a innocent kid, she also has her secrets.
I'm looking forward to read this book!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I greatly appreciate well-written fantasy and especially love those that present a world that you can connect with, but that is also appropriate for younger readers (as that generally means the will not have graphic sex scenes or be needlessly graphic when depicting violence).
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A plot revolving around a metalsmith with the ability to tune metal and use it to communicate with other worlds sounds great. I love the genre and I love tales that are set on worlds similar to our own. The steady pace doesn't bother me, as long as the plot isn't dull. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

This sounds like a book that comes together very well. Lilting fantasy has a certain draw to it, and it's too bad about the disconnect between the writing style and the action scenes.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Anamchara1317
Currently Reading: Killers of the Flower Moon
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anamchara1317 »

I love sci-fi, so I knew I would like to read this from the initial description. But your review solidified it for me. Merouac sounds like a well-developed character, dealing with his sister's supposed death, and now being a single parent to his niece. I look forward to finding out what happens to him and Evra, and if his ability to tune metal as a commication device reveals something spectacular. Great review!
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

Sounds intriguing. I like what you said about the balance between a planet that is a lot like ours and the surrealism of a fantasy world. I have enjoyed that combination in other sci fi and fantasy that I've read. I've just downloaded this, and I´m looking forward to giving it a try.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

This is a great review! I like the sound of this book as you say it is easy to relate to due to it being set on a planet similar to our own. I always enjoy reading some fantasy stories especially if it is something that I can relate to!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

The book sounds interesting. I love Sci-Fi/Fantasy and especially love different worlds with different rules. The names seem a bit complicated for me. I had to sound out each one and even then they don't sound right in my head. The metal "tuning" and the atmospheric shield both sound like compelling concepts and I look forward to seeing how the author uses these in the story.

(Side note on the review, "Jordan" can be either a male or female name. In the review Jordan is referred to as both "he" and "she." :eusa-think: )
Babypujari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babypujari.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Babypujari »

It is quite difficult to understand sci-fi novels on the first base, but this review has outlined the novel in a very simple way. This review will certainly help the readers to select the book.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The fact that the planet outlined in the book is quite similar to ours makes me think it will be a very compelling read. And I am a fan of fantasy. Enough said, I guess. Let me go add it to my To-Read section.

Beautifully written review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I love to hear that the characters are complex! I enjoy seeing those kind of things in books. It makes them more interesting that way.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I've read the blurb of the book and the review and I'm glad that the reviewer enjoyed this book greatly, its surreality and lilting flow. It's good that not only the main characters get the most attention in the book but the side characters as well have hidden depths. Still, I don't think this book is for me, though I believe it will find it's reader. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was incredibly engaging and very well-written! This is not even my preferred genre, but your high praise has me looking forward to checking this one out! I'm eager to learn the details of Merouac's sister's apparent death, and I'm excited to watch how Merouac and Evra bond as a family over time. I've downloaded my copy...thank you so much! :-)
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I wouldn't have guessed that this book was science fiction at first. I definitely want to check it out now, as I love science fiction that talks about issues going on in the world from an "alternate" perspective.
ma3luisa5verga8
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by ma3luisa5verga8 »

Science Fiction has been one of my favorite genre. It let's your imagination and creativity work overtime and thirst to finish the book once started. Thank for a wonderful and balanced review, this will definitely be added to my next book adventure.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”