Official Review: Bitroux by Jordan Harcourt-Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Official Review: Bitroux by Jordan Harcourt-Hughes

Post by Anirudh Badri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bitroux" by Jordan Harcourt-Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bitroux is a sci-fi fantasy novel written by Jordan Harcourt-Hughes. It is set in a world rather like Earth around the time when the railway networks were being built. It explores quite a few themes such as family, extra-terrestrials and magic. It is the first book of the series 'The Metalsmith'.

The plot revolves around Merouac, a senior metalsmith working to build a huge railway line, and his niece, Evra. Merouac’s sister supposedly dies and leaves her daughter, Evra, in his care. However, soon we see that not all is as it seems. There are strange accidents that befall some trains on the line and the appearance of unearthly creatures with Top Hats that only Merouac and Evra can see. Things become even murkier when a strange Ayuherica woman named Heyla enters the story. She reveals that Merouac has the ability to ‘tune’ metal, which means that he can use metal as a conduit to communicate with other worlds. The characters come together to understand what is happening to the planet Ahm and the atmospheric shield that protects it. The shield seems to have disappeared, and this has opened the world up to contact from other planets. Along the way, there are several human moments where Merouac and Evra bond. We see them become a family.

The loveliest thing about this story was the sheer surreality of it all. The planet that the story is set on is so similar to our own that we can so easily relate to it. Yet, there are so many alien elements to it that we never once lose interest. From the spectacular artwork to the style of narration, the author does all that he can to ensure that the reader is mesmerised and spellbound. The narration has a certain lilting feel to it. It causes the reader to feel as though the story just moves along, as if by its own accord. It is all extremely cohesive and comes together beautifully.

The characters are also complex and nuanced. Merouac is the gruff bachelor who is saddled with a child. He must come to terms with guilt over his sister’s apparent death, his confusion at the bewildering events around him and the antics of his new niece. Evra is an innocent child who plays around a lot. Later, we see that she is not without her own secrets. The side characters also have hidden depths, and this makes the book all the more enjoyable.

The only real problem that I had with the book came from its greatest strength. The narrative style works wonderfully when the author is setting up her world or describing mundane events. However, it does not change along with the pace of the story. As the action becomes intense, the lilting, steady flow of the narrative seems rather jarring and out of place. Apart from this minor fault, the book was excellent and complete. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

For the above reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all fans of fantasy or science fiction, especially younger ones. This is a lovely story with hardly any adult content, making it ideal for younger fans of the genre.

Bitroux
View: on Bookshelves

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Sci-fis are always interesting. Did Merouac finish his railway line and did the shield come back? I might have to read to find out. Thanks for the review, Anirudh
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a really good book. I love sci fi, and this one sounds right up my alley. It's great the characters are complex, and the world is so similar and yet different from ours. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Sounds interesting. Congrats to the author for getting 4 stars. I like books like this one where characters have secrets. Makes it intriguing to read. Nice review.
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thanks, LadyClaire. Many intricate mysteries are solved over the course of the book. Perhaps the two you mention also belong there :)

Glad you liked it, Kandscreeley. The complexity of the characters really made the book much better and the similarity of the worlds contributed to the mystique.

Thanks, Rosemary Okoko. The secrets certainly add to the charm of this book. Many remain unresolved and set the stage for future books.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a really good book. I love sci fi, and this one sounds right up my alley. It's great the characters are complex, and the world is so similar and yet different from ours. Thanks for the review.
I agree with Kandscreeley, this is right up my alley. It also has a great book cover.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is very good. The book seems interesting. Thanks for the review.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I love Sci-Fi ❤ . And this one seems really interesting . I'll read it . Thank you for your review?
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Jaime Lync, the cover and the general design really add to the book. Reading it becomes a lovely experience.

–Oscar Wilde
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

For a Universe that is in the sci-fi, dystopia or Fantasy genre, the closer it is to a reality, the more relatable it is for me. If it is a scary future, it's even scarier if it's more likely to happen. At the same time, surreal elements keep the story fresh. Thank you for your review.
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Izesicle, very true. All of fiction and fantasy has a basis in reality. The differences between our world and this fantasy world are subtle, but make the book all the more intriguing for that.

–Oscar Wilde
bhishma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bhishma »

I have not read a lot of fantasy before this. I think I might start here. Thanks for the review!
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Bhishma: This would be a nice place to start reading fantasy as it is a short and well-written book. All the best, and I hope you enjoy it!

–Oscar Wilde
AshwadRaj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AshwadRaj »

Seems like a nice,easy fantasy book to read. I think I'll read this one.
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I would certainly recommend it for that. Unlike High Fantasy, this is a very relaxing book to read and enjoyable too.

–Oscar Wilde

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”