Review by GCamer -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Review by GCamer -- My Trip to Adele

Post by GCamer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Music resonates our feelings. There are many instances when we listen to a song that coincidentally expresses how we feel at that exact moment. It might seem like the singer knows specifically what we're going through at that time. The powerful messages capture our heart, and we develop a strong connection to the artist.

Just like in the book My Trip to Adele the main characters had a connection to the British singer, Adele, because her songs touched their lives in some ways. Each chapter of the book was even entitled after a song from her album, 25. A part of the lyrics was shown at the specific moment when the characters heard or remembered the song which carried messages that were very relative to their situation.

The three protagonists were from different parts of the world. First was Elias, an Italian with Moroccan origin who returned to the old city of Marrakesh to break the magic spell that separated him from his love. Second was Yaser, an oncologist from Las Vegas who's torn between breaking away from his monotonous life and hiding his wishes for the sake of his family. And last was Nadia, a divorced mom from Jordan whose love for her son was greater than any tribe or law. They had different struggles, but they were the same in that Adele's songs made an impact in their lives. And so, they planned to watch Adele on her concert at the Arena di Verona.

I personally enjoyed the book because the characters were very relatable. Though I'm not a lover like Elias, I'm not married like Yaser, and I'm not a mother like Nadia, I strongly empathized with all of them. I was moved by the things that the characters were willing to do for their loved ones even if it meant sacrificing their reputation, happiness and freedom.

Another thing that I enjoyed about the book was the fact that I was introduced to different cultures. In fact, I had to stop reading to search online because I was so intrigued about men dancing dressed as women in Morocco, delayed dowry in Muslim engagement and gunshot weddings in Jordan. Issues in society were also touched like poverty, homelessness, gender inequality, occupational inequality and even fallacies in social media.

The co-authors, siblings Ahmad and Rana Alyaseer, did a wonderful job in making this book a complete package. Their rich writing painted beautiful scenes for the readers to imagine. They successfully developed the characters into flawed but likable personas. Their love for Adele and her songs were reflected in how they made the lyrics and the three separate stories flow as one.

One thing that I was not so keen on was the title and cover. It gave me an impression that the book would be a memoir of Adele's fan who would just share his/her experiences watching Adele’s concerts, but I was wrong. When I read the book, I was easily captivated by the enchanting words that I had forgotten my first impression about it.

For me, this book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would gladly recommend it to everyone, Adele fans and not. Even if you’re not familiar with all her music, like me, this book would definitely take you on an emotional journey filled with music and love.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GCamer's review? Post a comment saying so!
dariosaguciojr
Favorite Book: Gringo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dariosaguciojr.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by dariosaguciojr »

I personally enjoyed the book because the characters were very relatable. Though I'm not a lover like Elias, I'm not married like Yaser, and I'm not a mother like Nadia, I strongly empathized with all of them. I was moved by the things that the characters were willing to do for their loved ones even if it meant sacrificing their reputation, happiness and freedom.

Elias thought that he was cursed and that going back to the place where he met his love would free him. At the end, he found out that he was not cursed, he was just in love.

Each character has different story to tell, but what I like the most is the story of Elias because his is unique.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Elias had a unique and mystical story. What I enjoyed most was the fact that I was introduced to different situations in Morroco and the problems in society that I think are very common in different countries. It was a very interesting read.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

What a lyrical way of putting the review. Excellent one. I have also read and reviewed the book and I found it an excellent read. Good job.
I have reviews of Breaking sandcastles, Escape, Lemoncella cocktail, My trip to Adele, Searching for paradise etc. Please spare some time to read them and drop your thoughts on the pages. Cheers
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Thank you for your kind words, Ayosinmi. I've already read and left comments on a couple of your reviews. I look forward to seeing your future writings on this website.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html

Post by Ayosinmi »

Don't mind my marketing strategy. ? thank you very much. I felt your presence on my reviews. Cheers
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

I like your "Marketing strategy" :wink:
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I have a bit difference of opinion the rating though. You are welcome to read my take on this book and let me know how you differ on what I have to say.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Hi, ReviewerDiksha! I've just read and commented on your review. Your opinion is really different. I still need to learn more when it comes to analyzing and critiquing books. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a feedback here.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Your insights were really helpful. Thank you for that. I would also like to invite you to share your opinions on my other review.
https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 49#p723076
Looking forward to you dropping by here.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for your comments, ReviewerDiksha. I did drop by and left a comment. Turned out I also reviewed that book and we really have different opinions but I enjoyed reading your reviews and I respect your critique. Thanks for giving insightful feedbacks.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

You described this book beautifully, thank you for your review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for the compliment, Kelebogile Mbangi.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

"One thing that I was not so keen on was the title and cover. It gave me an impression that the book would be a memoir of Adele's fan who would just share his/her experiences watching Adele’s concerts, but I was wrong."

Hi,
I was kinda like a tribute to the British songstress. I read the book too, not much of a fan but I agree it was a good tale.

-- 20 Aug 2017, 08:42 --

**It not I. please correct.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Hi, juliusotinyo. You're right. The co-authors are both fans of Adele and it's like a tribute to her. I'm not a big fan of the singer and I didn't know most of the songs in the book but I enjoyed the plot. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”