Review by loves2read14 -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
loves2read14
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loves2read14.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by loves2read14 -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by loves2read14 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Veteran's Day: A Mary Jane Morris Mystery by J.J. Jorgens is a murder mystery set in Washington D.C. It has 231 pages. The e-book is available to read for free with Amazon KindleUnlimited, or can be purchased for $2.99.

Mary Jane Morris gave up law to become a private investigator in Washington D.C. In Veteran's Day: A Mary Jane Morris Mystery she finds her ex-partner dead from an apparent suicide after he called asking for her help. Knowing this doesn't make sense, and also knowing the police won't investigate it, she starts investigating what he was working on at the time of his death. She soon discovers that her ex-partner may have been involved in blackmail and he may have stumbled onto a plot to cheat veteran's out of their money and benefits by some very powerful and corrupt people. Not knowing how high up the corruption goes, she can't trust anyone except her small circle of friends that include her roommate who is a reporter, her doctor/boyfriend, and a few good veterans. Can she find the evidence she needs to bring down these powerful people before their plan succeeds? And, can she do it without getting herself or innocent people killed.

The author uses wry humor and our nation's Capital in this story that highlights a very real problem in our country, the way Veteran's are treated when they return home from war. The homelessness and lack of medical care are two very real problems that too many of our veterans have to face. Somewhere between the car chases, explosions, and computer hacking I started wondering if this could possibly really happen. I applaud J.J. Jorgens for shining a light on this problem and giving us all something to think about.

With fully developed characters the author shows the layers and complexity of corrupt power hungry individuals and how far they will go to keep their money and power, even at the expense of the very people who have given all they have to protect our country. This is clearly a good vs. evil story. The descriptions of the locations and landmarks are very vivid, and the little snippets of history makes this a very interesting book.

I found the story easy to read and easy to follow. I like the fact that the author didn't use a lot of adult language or adult situations. The story line doesn't need it and it was interesting and entertaining without it. I also like the fact that the author didn't try to gloss over the experiences of the veterans and the problems they face here at home. Some times we need to be reminded what these heroic people have gone through and how deeply it affects them.

Overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars, only because there are several editing mistakes in it. As far as the plot and story line, it is a great book and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mystery. I am looking forward to reading about more of the adventures of private investigator Mary Jane Morris.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like loves2read14's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I really enjoyed your review . I have read this book and I will also rate it 3 out of 4
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree that the common challenges that the veterans face are very relevant. I rated the book 2 out of four stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”