Review by ritah -- The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Review by ritah -- The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

Post by ritah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mois Benarroch, The Immigrant’s Lament, English Edition, 2016. Moben Publishing, 91 pages, ISBN: 9781519012616.

The immigrant’s lament is a poetry lover’s haven. The book contains a collection of fifty-three poems that give readers an insider’s perspective of the life and struggles of an immigrant and so much more, including relatable accounts of life.

Mois Benarroch, the author of the book, begins by giving us various accounts of his youthful days in Morocco, to his and his families soon to follow migrations to other countries. The first poem and a number of others take us through this journey; a ride that was initially graced with hopes and dreams but once traveled; resulted in disillusionment that left the writer feeling alienated, melancholic and reminiscent of his childhood days in Morocco.

The poet skillfully covers a wide array of themes such as: culture, love, inequality, religion, war, internal conflict, prejudice, death and liberty among others. The author successfully ignites the readers’ mood and or sensibilities by using tonal variations to take one through the roller coaster of emotions that usually encompass life and in addition, emotions induced by the struggles of being an immigrant. The writers tone is highly influenced by the subject matter of the poem ranging from optimistic, gloomy, sentimental, depressed and sarcastic to simply endearing.

Poems can have either literal or figurative meanings. Some poems in the book have both figurative and literal interpretations, the poet also made a play at several literary devices comprising of similes, metaphors, rhythms and rhymes just to name a few which made reading the book quite intriguing and enjoyable. The author also used the narrative style to tell stories, which best delivered his message to readers, making his work fairly easy to read and comprehend.

The writer through some of his poems not only succeeded in reawakening my emotions but he also successfully makes his emotions the readers, and that is the beauty and power of poetry. I found myself not only empathizing but also deeply relating to his struggles on different levels. His uncertainty and battles with self-identity and sense of alienation can be seen when he writes: “Years you walk with a tree that has no roots Years the roots are in the sky”, “the more I explain the less, I understand” and “I collect the pieces and stay an orphan in my words” his lack of certainty and self-identity results in him struggling to love and appreciate himself consequently or not he becomes the subject of unrequited love, this becomes clear when he ponders on a love that never got the chance to materialize “and behind my hands a kiss I never gave”.

What I also appreciated about the poems is the way the author uses them to teach, enlighten and inspire. This can be seen throughout most of his work, for instance, in one of the poems he boldly asserts; “But to be free you’ll have to be different you’ll have to pull the fences and to be ridiculed, laughed at...” this serves to encourage others not to be afraid to color outside of the lines and to dare to be themselves in a world that would gladly dictate who they ought to be.

I would recommend The Immigrant’s Lament to poetry lovers and other readers in general because it is a captivating read in the way that it unfolds, poem after poem each with a story to tell.
Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars taking into account that it had editing mistakes but otherwise the content was great and worth reading.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Thank you for your in depth, detailed review. This book sounds so human, so relatable.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Thank you for your in depth, detailed review. This book sounds so human, so relatable.
Thank you so much! It really was!
Bibiskye
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bibiskye »

I appreciate this review. I'll definitely pick this one up.
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Bibiskye wrote:I appreciate this review. I'll definitely pick this one up.
thank you. Hope you appreciate the book as much as I did.
Bibiskye
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bibiskye »

ritah wrote:
I hope so too. I love poetry and it sounds interesting. I'm almost sure, I will.
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Bibiskye wrote:
ritah wrote:
I hope so too. I love poetry and it sounds interesting. I'm almost sure, I will.
Great!!! :tiphat:
Brandon101
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Brandon101 »

This book sounds so relatable. Thank you for the review.
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Brandon101 wrote:This book sounds so relatable. Thank you for the review.
Thank you so much for reading my review :tiphat:
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for the review Ritah . I really liked your honest review . I haven't read any book full of poetry before but I'll definitely give it a try.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Thank you for the review Ritah . I really liked your honest review . I haven't read any book full of poetry before but I'll definitely give it a try.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your comment. hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Having lived in different countries than my own, I found that I shared some of the author's sentiments & struggles at some point in life.

-- 25 Jul 2017, 14:47 --
Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Thank you for the review Ritah . I really liked your honest review . I haven't read any book full of poetry before but I'll definitely give it a try.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your comment. hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Having lived in different countries than my own, I found that I shared some of the author's sentiments & struggles at some point in life.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I wanted to read this book due to its plot, but the fact that it is in form of poetry put me off.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

The Researcher wrote:I wanted to read this book due to its plot, but the fact that it is in form of poetry put me off.
Aaah, but poetry is life my friend. :techie-studyingbrown: haha, but I get it Poetry isn't for everybody. You know, even though I generally love Poetry. I appreciated that the author was able to tell a cohesive story that came together through all his poems in the book. I don't think that's an easy thing to do.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have read two of Benarroch's books and appreciate his continuing struggles as a Sephardic Jew. Even now, many years after he migrated to Israel, he still feels that he doesn't belong. I am sure that his poems about his laments are heartfelt and intense.

Thank you for your thoughtful review and for sharing your own experiences as an immigrant yourself.
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

Miriam Molina wrote:I have read two of Benarroch's books and appreciate his continuing struggles as a Sephardic Jew. Even now, many years after he migrated to Israel, he still feels that he doesn't belong. I am sure that his poems about his laments are heartfelt and intense.

Thank you for your thoughtful review and for sharing your own experiences as an immigrant yourself.
Yes, they were. It was my first book by him and am encouraged to read more. Thank you so much for appreciating my review. :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”