Review by Anirudh Badri -- A Kingdom Forgotten

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Review by Anirudh Badri -- A Kingdom Forgotten

Post by Anirudh Badri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr. is the first book in the ongoing series A Throne of Souls. It is a complex tale spanning many worlds and crossing many traditional boundaries of science fiction and fantasy. As a result, it is hard to classify the book into any single genre like dystopian fantasy or epic fantasy. The book is pretty long, so buckle up for an extended reading session.

The narrative of this book focusses on two main plotlines. One follows the actions of a lamean (wizard) called Damon who is labouring to accomplish his very secret master plan. The other section devotes itself to the actions of Radin and the prophecy of his planet’s ending. To tell the stories the author jumps across time and space. There are frequent sojourns to ‘Very Long Ago’ and ‘Near Future’ as well as constant inter-planetary hopping. Since this book is part of a series, quite a few of the tantalising secrets remain to be explored in future books. The story itself is masterfully constructed, with a variety of seemingly insignificant details ending up as important pieces of the puzzle. I loved the small clues to the larger story that the author leaves all over the place. Therefore, I will refrain from telling you too much of the story to avoid spoilers and to save the enjoyment for the readers. Suffice to say that it is an epic tale with tremendous scope.

One of the best things about this book is the quality of world-building. The author does a masterful job of world-building and creates a diverse and vibrant set of worlds that are a pleasure to read about. There are visceral differences between the various worlds and this change of scenery makes them exciting. One other aspect of the books that I really liked was the moral complexity of the characters. I prefer complex, multifaceted characters and the author delivers. There are no simplistic heroes and villains in this tale! For example, Damon is well-known across many worlds for killing untold numbers of people. As the reader, we are constantly repelled by the atrocities he commits, only to be drawn to him as he shows softer aspects of himself. My one problem with the book’s characterisation was the lack of development for the side characters. There are a lot of them and many of them such as Elise and Adena seem fascinating and have potential. Yet, at the end of the book, I still know very little about them. Perhaps this is intentional and the author plans to develop them over the course of future books. However, I believe that organic growth of characters even when they are not the focus of the story would be far more effective than focussing on characters only when they are pivotal to the story.

Characterisation aside, the major problem I had with the book was the pacing. The first quarter (or third) of the book was extremely haphazard. It was impossible to make sense of what was going on because of the sheer number of simultaneous plots. While I understand the difficulty of introducing a reader to a huge literary universe, a complex story and a multitude of characters, the book could be greatly improved by making the first portion more reader-friendly. There is a real danger of scaring away readers who might otherwise enjoy the book. Moreover, while I liked the story and setting, this book would certainly not be for readers who prefer not to think too hard while reading fiction. It is an involved story where readers need to pay attention to subtle hints to know what is going on.

The writing style of the author is excellent, especially when he narrates a battle sequence. It is a reflection of the ability of the author to keep the complex narrative clearly in his mind and present it as a cogent narrative. That said, I cannot say the same about the author’s writing of the romantic elements of the book. The complexity that I appreciated so much is missing here. Quite a few of these, especially Damon's romances, felt forced and unnecessary. They did not fit well into the larger narrative and should be reworked into more appropriate places.

The only other aspects I wish to point out in this review are relatively minor. First would be the naming of the spells. The author invests a great deal of effort in coming up with concepts for spells, but the extremely prosaic naming lessens the impact of all that. Names like Damon’s Big Boom and Damon’s Far Reaching were the norm and were pretty disappointing. Finally, there were a few grammatical and typographical errors in the book. I only noticed half a dozen or so, which I felt was understandable for a book of this size. As a result, they were only a mild irritant to me and did not detract significantly from the quality of the book.

In conclusion, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the storyline and the built-in complexity as well as the strength of the universe. If the pacing of the first half is fixed and the supporting characters are fleshed out a little bit more, the book could easily be far better.

A Kingdom Forgotten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Good to know you enjoyed reading this book. It sounds like a nice read but i know i will have a problem with being deeply involved when reading it. I like easy to understand books. Thank you for this review.
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thanks a lot, Rosemary Okoko. I know what you mean about easy to understand books. I read a lot of those kinds of books as well. This one might make a nice change once in a while, but not really sustainable in my opinion.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Book seems very interesting .. I like such type of novels . And honestly , I like to read lengthy novels if they are interesting .. admirable review ?
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thanks Darakhshan Nazir. If you like long books, then this one should be perfect for you. It has a slow start, but after that really managed to keep me interested throughout.

–Oscar Wilde
bhishma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bhishma »

Nice review! This seems like a very hard book for someone who has not read a lot of fantasy before. Might try reading this at a later stage.
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Thanks, bhishma. The book is hard to read and follow, but that does not necessarily mean that someone new to the genre will not like it. If you don't mind complexity in the story when you read other genres, you might enjoy this one.

–Oscar Wilde
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

It's nice that the book has a good word building. I like to read such books.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Very true, Naval Aulakh. Strong world building is a very important aspect of books that I look for. You would probably like this book then.

–Oscar Wilde
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

very nice review but this book is not for me. I won't enjoy reading like this book. It seems that you really enjoyed reading this book, good to hear that.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I agree with you about developing characters organically. I don't have time for a lengthy book but this is interesting. Sort of reminds me of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Sounds abit taxing on me judging by your review, I prefer shorter stories. Thanks
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

You are certainly right that this book is long and taxing. I would not recommend this to everyone as this would be hard to appreciate if you do not have enough time to read it and enjoy it.

–Oscar Wilde
AshwadRaj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AshwadRaj »

I like reading fantasy so this seems pretty cool. Maybe the author will edit and make changes to this book, to the pacing!
Anirudh Badri

Post by Anirudh Badri »

If he can manage to do that, I would unreservedly give this book 4 stars. The story is extremely compelling!

–Oscar Wilde

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”