Review by Serene Firefly -- Who Told You That You Were N...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Review by Serene Firefly -- Who Told You That You Were N...

Post by Penny Lee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?: A Refreshing Reexamination of The Garden of Eden by Reverend William Combs, a retired Presbyterian minister, is a non-fiction Christian book which reexamines the definition of what sin is, humanity's need for a savior to take away our sin and shame, and God's loving, gracious provision for a broken world. While this is a Christian non-fiction book, Rev. Combs writes it in such a way that it is accessible and enjoyable to the average person as well. A background understanding of the Bible or theology is not essential before reading this book, as Rev. Combs clearly and concisely fills in the blanks, beginning with an overview of the creation story, the first humans (Adam and Eve) eating the forbidden fruit, and how that action brought sin and death into the world.

Combs' main theme in Who Told You That You Were Naked? is that sin is not “a mere list of offenses,” but also our innate sense of shame and nakedness – the feeling that we do not measure up – in comparison to God, others, or who we ourselves want to be. Combs writes, “We need to hear the Lord asking us, 'Who told you that you need to be thinner, younger, healthier, prettier, more athletic, more intelligent, one who speaks with more confidence, have a better sense of humor, with fewer zits, a bigger home in a more upscale neighborhood, a more important job with a larger paycheck, a newer, faster, or classier car, more stylish clothing, more influential friends, or more time to devote to the things you want to do?' ” He goes on to note that we can attempt to “clothe our nakedness” with many things, but it is only Jesus Christ who can take away the feelings of nakedness, inadequacy, and shame in our lives.

After establishing his over-arching definition of sin to include our feelings of nakedness and shame, Combs gives the good news: God has provided a solution through Jesus, who not only came to save humanity from the consequences of our sin and brokenness, but also to take away our shame. Combs goes on to detail how the person who accepts God's provision and salvation can enter into his rest, having peace and purpose in their life despite the continued broken state of this world as we know it.

This book is interesting and memorable in that Combs provides dramatizations (in story form) of what life was like in the Garden of Eden, during the time of Christ, etc. These illustrations greatly enhance the reader's understanding, as they help one put themselves into the historical narrative. The only drawback to these illustrations is that sometimes they are not explained as such until afterward, which could confuse the reader by making them think that the dramatized narrative was another of many scripture quotations in the book. Who Told You That You Were Naked? is also instructive to the Christian reader; there is a sense of freedom, in that Combs clarifies that the Christian does not need to try their best to be good or defeat sin and shame in their life, but rather they can rest in the knowledge that it is God who takes away their sin and shame, enabling them to live a life of peace and sharing his love with others.

As a reader with a background in biblical studies, there were a few points in Combs' book with which I could not agree. Combs states early on in the book that the repercussions of Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit were not punitive in nature. While he goes on to explain that the curses of living in a fallen world can provide humanity with a greater sense of accomplishment in overcoming greater obstacles, the biblical text also indicates that God, being both a God of justice and mercy, does require that sin be punished, and therefore it follows that “the curse” for eating the forbidden fruit was punitive, although it did include redemptive elements. Combs' use of the term “little faith” was also confusing, although he did go on to explain it as a belief that God will relieve our anxiety with our desired solution instead of his solution.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is thought-provoking, inspiring, and enlightening. I only withhold one star on the basis of the dramatic narratives not being introduced as such and potentially causing some confusion with quotations of the biblical narrative, and with a few points that do not seem to have a clearly-cited biblical basis, but are rather the opinion of the author. This book has many good and helpful points however, and I recommend reading it with this in mind. I can particularly agree with the author's assessment that it is only God who can take away our feelings of shame and give us a life of wholeness, peace, and purpose. A complimentary copy of this book was provided for review purposes. The opinions expressed are my own.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Serene Firefly's review? Post a comment saying so!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I read and reviewed this book. I agree with you that though it is based on the Bible, parts of it are the views of the author. It is a book worth reading. You have done a great job reviewing it.
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thank you! It was certainly a meaningful book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a really good, thought provoking novel. I enjoyed reading your review of it as well. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thanks for commenting. It's definitely a thought-provoking read.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am going to read this novel soon so I was going through its review . Very nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thanks so much Darakhshan! I hope you enjoy the book and find it meaningful.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Great review. I liked the points that you stressed. Only God has the power to take away the shame.
Can you have a look at my review of this book and share your comments please ?
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thanks, BoyLazy. I agree with your comments, and would be interesting in reading your review of the same book.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have read the book and reviewed it. I have seen that you have provided a detailed review of the same. That is a great work.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”