Review by CHL -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Review by CHL -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by CHL »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gates to Tangier is a fiction novel originally written by Mois Benarroch and translated by Sara Maria Hasbun.

The story revolves around a Moroccan family who was shocked upon learning that the father has an illegitimate son to their previous helper. This was known few days after the death of the death when the lawyer informed the family that the inheritance will only be given to them if this son is found. Otherwise, they will have to wait 5 years before they can access it. So the search for the long lost brother began with the four siblings Fortu (also known as Messod), Isaque, Silvia, and Alberto. The legal family actually consisted of six siblings but the youngest, Israel, died during the Lebanese war while Ruth cannot accompany as she is pregnant.

In the end, when the siblings reached the house of Fatima, their previous helper, they were told that their brother (Yusuf) died at 1 year old so they just let her sign a document confirming his death and went back to their place of residence which are now separate from each other.

In this book, the author presented each important characters through monologues. Though informative, the flow wasn’t that appealing. It only became more and more interesting when the personality of the brother began to unravel. It would have been better if the author focused on developing this side of the story. The plot seems disentangled in some way. There were also conversations after the monologues wherein it is unclear which among the characters are talking or if those conversations belong to any of the characters mentioned.
Nevertheless, the author was successful in raising certain issues. Aside from family dynamics, 2 themes were discussed in this book. One is the Arab/Muslim and Jewish relationship and the gender issue.

The Arab/Muslim-Jewish relationship history is very educational. Being foreign to this country and religion, I learned quite a lot by reading this novel. What fascinated me the most though is how the author injected the gender issue on this novel. It was indeed a surprising twist. What with these advances in medicine, good data and information storage, and faster communication across the world. Yet sadly, although we are in the modern world and more accepting than before, we cannot deny that religions and traditions still limit our capacity to accept an atypical person or situation. We still have biases and prejudices.

Though lacking in some technicalities, author discussed relevant points in this novel. I give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like CHL's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Honest review! I reviewed this book as well and agree with you. The flow was choppy but the themes shone strong.
CHL

Post by CHL »

Swara Sangeet wrote:Honest review! I reviewed this book as well and agree with you. The flow was choppy but the themes shone strong.
Thanks. I've read your awesome review as well. :)
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

CHL wrote:
Thanks. I've read your awesome review as well. :)
Thank you so much!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I have read other books by this author and hope to read this one. His writings can be very confusing and as you read on, you get to understand him. Thank you for the review.
CHL

Post by CHL »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:I have read other books by this author and hope to read this one. His writings can be very confusing and as you read on, you get to understand him. Thank you for the review.
You're welcome, Rosemary! Thank you for the insight. I have seen his other books too. The titles gave me the impression that they maybe interconnected. I'll be reading them in the future for sure.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This book sounds familiar to me. I don't know if I've read other reviews for it or just have a bad memory. It does sound worth checking out.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CHL

Post by CHL »

CatInTheHat wrote:This book sounds familiar to me. I don't know if I've read other reviews for it or just have a bad memory. It does sound worth checking out.
Tell me your thoughts as well once you've read the book. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”