Review by kdstrack -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Everything seems to be going wrong for Patrick when he becomes a witness to an attempted murder. After rescuing the victim from drowning he is hired by the police to help them capture the suspects. This leads him to meet the victim’s family, work as a spy for the police and meet a new sweetheart.

There is a second storyline about weapons being sold illegally. This operation has been active for several years, undetected by the authorities. Problems arise when a young woman witnesses a transaction between the buyers and sellers of these weapons. These two main themes are intertwined throughout the book.

Besides the two main themes, each of the sub-characters are given their own sub-themes which are developed, sometimes to the detraction of the main theme.

This text was very hard to read to the end as it is replete with many grammar and vocabulary errors. It was extremely frustrating. The frequent errors detract from the story and make the reader lose interest. On many occasions when the author is trying to present a serious and suspenseful scene the grammar error changes the suspense and mystery into humor (“they flu me here”, p. 130).

I also had a difficult time with the double personality of some of the characters. Patrick is presented as the macho-man but he is constantly cooking and preparing meals. He also is preoccupied with doing his laundry and dusting his apartment.

I recommend this book to teachers of English as a Second Language, especially if your students speak Spanish as their first language. This book is a window into what language learners are truly comprehending in their lessons. Teachers would see what their students are actually hearing ex: “shade light on this” (shed light). It also shows how second language learners often do not understand English sentence structure and their eternal struggle with verbs.

I rate this book a 1 out of 4. The author made an effort to tell a story that included suspense and romance, mystery and murder. At the same time, after all that work, why not hire someone or ask a native English speaker to proofread your text? The story would have been more enjoyable without the multitude of errors.

I felt that this story was written as a soap opera. All the elements of a soap opera are present: several romances, suspense, murder, family, babies, birth, death, falling in love, backstabbing, etc. The text jumps back and forth between the different themes and sub-themes like short segments of a daytime soap opera. I would suggest this author consider writing for daytime television.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Excellent review. You really highlighted the struggles in this book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 04:01 Excellent review. You really highlighted the struggles in this book.
I really struggled to finish this book. The story is good but the grammar errors truly detract from simply reading the text.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kudos on persevering. This one sounds like a tough read. I love how you've recommended it to English second language teachers. That's all that I need to know about this book. To use it as a 'what not to do' for Spanish speakers says it all.
Thanks for this review! I really enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bianka Walter wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 05:12 Kudos on persevering. This one sounds like a tough read. I love how you've recommended it to English second language teachers. That's all that I need to know about this book. To use it as a 'what not to do' for Spanish speakers says it all.
Thanks for this review! I really enjoyed it :)
Thanks for reading and for your kind words of encouragement! Much appreciated.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”