Review by Kalin Adi -- (Ways to) Lucena by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Review by Kalin Adi -- (Ways to) Lucena by Mois Benarroch

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucena” is a book written By Mois Benarroch and translated by P. Diane Schneider. The main character of the story is Isaac Benzima who starts a journey to find his religious roots because of the anxiety that he has in his heart; he feels empty even though he has many material possessions. In this journey, he "meets" an ancestor who is supposedly one thousand years and tells Isaac he'll be his successor. Isaac has seven days to think about it and come back to accept his destiny.

Throughout the book there are different poems, and other numerous stories narrated by Samuel Murciano. These stories have nothing to do with the first one; they are a compilation of short stories trying to explain the conflict between the Shephardim and the Ashkenazi and how the Shepardim have always considered themselves superior.

The fact that the story is about Jews attracted me; however, the way it was written left an aftertaste. The author wanted to create a ubiquitous character but ended up creating a vague one instead. As a reader, you feel no connection to the character nor understand his behavior. Besides, the fact that there are many stories in between makes it more difficult to understand the main story because there is no sequence whatsoever.

On the other hand, there are several spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes, but the worst of all is the poor translation. It reflects poor editing or maybe not editing at all because the choice of words shows lack of interest in the book as if it was done in a hurry. In the glossary, there are even words and phrases in Spanish not even translated. Besides, the book is listed as Sci-Fi/Fantasy; nevertheless, when reading you can hardly find the elements that make a fantasy story besides Isaac's brief time travel.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars because the plot lacks a purpose. The author is not clear where he wants to take the character; that's why the book has no sequence of events. The characters, settings and the plot are not well developed either. Also, there is not a clear identification of the speakers; you do not know who is narrating the story in certain passages. Besides, the author just focuses on short conversations instead showing actions in order to make the story flow. It is a book that even Jewish people would have a hard time reading it. Last but not least, the use of unnecessary aspersions to women and homosexuals make the reading of this book even more difficult.

(Ways to) Lucena
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Benarroch seems to infuse his books with his woes as a Sephardic Jew. I appreciate his angst as a man forever in exile. It must be a lonely life.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Benarroch's works are hard to understand. I think he always aims to overdo it somehow, with his fixation on the Benzimras and Sepharad.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Miriam Molina wrote:Benarroch seems to infuse his books with his woes as a Sephardic Jew. I appreciate his angst as a man forever in exile. It must be a lonely life.
Yes, indeed. In fact, you can sense the author's woes when narrating about the conflict between these two groups, Ashkenazi and the Shepardim, throughout the book. It's a shame the book was not well edited. On the other hand, I think these woes are a global situation for Jews. I have Jewish friends who do not stop talking about this topic. It is a very sensitive topic.

-- 14 Aug 2017, 20:22 --
juliusotinyo wrote:Benarroch's works are hard to understand. I think he always aims to overdo it somehow, with his fixation on the Benzimras and Sepharad.
Definitely, it is a fixation of his. However, I do not blame him. I think writing about what makes you feel bad helps you recover. Perhaps writing about this conflict makes Benarroch feel he's doing something positive. Saying or writing his point of view out loud should be therapeutic. It would be bad if he kept quiet.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”