Review by ROSEMARY OKOKO -- Raquel Says (Something Entir...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by ROSEMARY OKOKO -- Raquel Says (Something Entir...

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RAQUEL SAYS (Something entirely unexpected)
By Mois benarroch

Raquel says (Something entirely unexpected) is a very unique book whose author Mois benarroch expresses himself in a poetic manner with a novel-like structure. The book is basically an autobiography of the author capturing different stages of his life. He likens the creation of the world to an author’s creation of a world of characters in their books. My understanding of this book is that Just as woman was created from Adam and they became one, and he refers to them as Adams, so does an author become one with his characters. The author creates these characters and thinks what their names should be and he also pens down what he thinks they should say or do. This relationship where the author controls his characters in his imagination and writing creates a special bond of oneness with his characters. Here, the author absorbs imagination. The author admits in this book that he likes the word ‘absorbed’ which he calls ensimismado in Spanish. This word summarizes the interaction that brings oneness between author and characters. His closest character is Raquel and he feels he has known her since he was a child because they share same birthdays.

At the beginning, the author portrays desperation and anger which leaves him with lack of interest on anything worldly. He realizes that this changes when he gets engrossed in writing words to form a book. His idea is that when you pen your thoughts, you become the person you are writing about. In writing, he is able to experience love and also criticize people's beliefs and attitude towards others. He mentions how Israeli are anti Jewish and how being a Tetouan surprises people who believe that Jewish Tetouan no longer exists.

What I like most about this book is that it puts us in a unique dimension of how we can see ourselves. It portrays one person living different lives at the same time. What I liked least was the confusion experienced at the beginning of the book before one gets to understand the dimensions.

I give this book the rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I could not give it 2 or below because it is interesting, unique and it's message well passed on. I did not give it 4 because it requires some editing. The abbreviated sentences in Chapter 3, page 11 should appear in separate lines instead of being clamped together. There are many typos on different pages. There are misspellings and repetition of words.

This book is for poetry lovers. Those who do not appreciate poetry might not find this book interesting. This book is also for those who have patience. At the beginning, the reader might get confused by what the author is talking about but as one reads on, it gets clear and it starts to flow. This book gives hope to those who are depressed by what is going on around them especially when they cannot fit in society. To handle this, they may get themselves busy by writing and having a chance to create characters whom they can communicate with, love and relate to as they get absorbed in this world of characters they have created.

Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ROSEMARY OKOKO's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also read and reviewed this book so I can relate to the confusion that you mention. The author's style needs getting used to.

Thanks for sharing your understanding of the book.

-- 11 Jun 2017, 10:45 --

I also read and reviewed this book so I can relate to the confusion that you mention. The author's style needs getting used to.

Thanks for sharing your understanding of the book.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I also loved the part you mentioned about this book giving us a unique dimension. In fact, i thought that reading this felt like trespassing one's deep thoughts. Moreover, the writing style of the author is new to me as he wrote the chapters in haphazard manner, following different timelines. Overall, I still found Mois and Raquel's story beautiful. Thank you for this review!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

You are welcome Czarmaineam. Good to hear you have read this book and agree with my review.

-- 11 Jun 2017, 11:21 --

Thank you Miriam Molina.
John D Divine
Currently Reading: Counterstrike
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by John D Divine »

My take is the author's imaginary creation skills that likens authors and their works with the creation of woman from man. The aspect of poetry to me is unfamiliar, but I believe it is interesting.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

John, it takes a while to understand poetry but it is interesting.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I like the title! Thanks for the review.
Nathan Omuka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nathan Omuka »

I usually find it challenging to understand poetry. Your review however has pulled the trigger and increased the urge to start on this book. Thank you Rosemary!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Most welcome Tanaya. Read the book to know what she said.

-- 19 Jun 2017, 09:34 --

Welcome Nathan. Hope you enjoy reading the book as i did.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy reading different opinions on the same book. I've read of those who really don't enjoy this book. I think it must be the poetry aspect you mentioned. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, although it's too bad about the editing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thanks Kandscreeley for reading the review. Those who don't love poetry will definitely not enjoy it.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

This book seems like an inspiration to all especially to those who love reading poetry. Though I like reading poetry, I think I can't read this one for now.

Great review!
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you michelonline29 for reading.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I read this a while ago and gave it a 2 out of 4 stars but your review did a good job justifying why you gave it 3 stars.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Jaime.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”