Review by Miriam Molina -- Raquel Says (Something Entire...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Miriam Molina -- Raquel Says (Something Entire...

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The past is that story that never stops changing.”

Mois Benarroch’s Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) begins with those intriguing words. The logical mind reacts and says, “How can that be so?” But these words appropriately usher us into the world of Mois Benarroch where “all realities are illusions.”

Mois Benarroch is described as one of the most enigmatic writers in today’s world literature. A descendant of the Sephardim, he lives in Jerusalem and is a poet and writer who alternately writes in English, Spanish, and Hebrew. Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected) was translated into English by Sally Seward.

The book, classified as other fiction, centers on the story of Moshe and Raquel, both writers who, at 40, suddenly find ennui in their lives and want to die, to not exist, to stop writing. Both are married but are searching for love, true love.

Then, by some twist of fate, they find each other and become lovers, not physically, but through words exchanged via emails and phone calls. They impatiently await their everyday conversations and both begin to live fulfilled lives. It turns out that they were both born in Morocco, were in fact classmates in their youth, and their mothers were close friends. In their daily exchanges, they recall their shared memories, discuss their careers, and help write each other’s books. These daily chats happen while the lovers are many miles apart, with her in Madrid and him in Israel.

The book constantly hammers the reader with the power of words. Wasn’t the world created with Elohim’s word? The relationship of Moshe and Raquel is created through words, as well. It is a love not dependent on physical touch but is, nonetheless, experienced totally. They complete each other; they are two islands that become one. A wonderful quote that describes the love shared by Moshe and Raquel follows: “We were children in paradise, adolescents in tunnels, adults in strange walls, and today we are the memory of each other.”

Will the lovers, seemingly soul mates, finally meet and finally touch?

The book is a thought-provoking read. It is one that you cannot breeze through but one that needs to be savored, morsel by precious morsel. The words are mesmerizing, limning the speaker’s most intimate thoughts vividly. You can almost picture the scenes and feel Moshe or Raquel live and breathe. Both characters do regular self-analysis, linking their past, present, and future together.

Mois Benarroch is a different kind of writer. His work is heavily influenced by celebrated authors who are named throughout the book: Jack Kerouac, Franz Kafka, Jorge Luis Borges, Edmond Jabes, and Charles Bukowski. Like these writers of profound and prominent works, mostly poets like him, he believes in writing spontaneous prose that makes his sentences long and winding. Such a style may not be popular with the amateur reader nor would it appeal to one whose main purpose for reading is entertainment or relaxation.

Scholars of literature and philosophy will have a field day parsing the book and students of psychology will find Moshe and Raquel engaging subjects. Hopeless romantics will enjoy the many memorable lines like “You’re everything I imagined. Everything and much more.” History buffs will relish Moshe’s narration of his travails as a Sephardi (which are strikingly similar to Mois Benarroch’s own experiences of rejection.)

I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I love the poetry in the words, and the humor that lies beneath them, plus the idea of two people who completely understand each other. However, the spontaneity of the sentences, with the author injecting many random thoughts, and the presence of some editing issues (mainly inappropriate line breaks) made reading difficult. I also long for a book that would give me respite from my worldly cares.

As a final comment, I do agree with the author regarding the power of words.

Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I agree that scholars of literature and philosophy would find this thought provoking. I read this and my favourite parts were his talk about literature
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi there Jaime. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know you are familiar with Mois Benarroch, having read many of his works (I checked your review page!) and I feel an affinity with you somehow. Thanks too for sharing your story as an immigrant like him. I pray that, unlike him, you have found peace where the Lord has taken you. See more of you in the forums!
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

Nice review Miriam. I think you were read this book with interest. I never try this type of book but after your I am trying for it. Thanks.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks gurpreetkaur for your kind words. Mois Benarroch is a writer/poet so you cannot fault him for lack of passion.
Do tell me how you find Raquel Says when you get to read it yourself.
Welcome to OBC! I am also new here and I am having a lot of fun with book lovers like you and me. Like Scott said, we are a minority.
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

We are a minority! sounds good. Thanks for your message Mirriam.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I've read one of Mois' book and the editing makes it hard to read! Thank you for the great review i might read this one day. :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Harmony Hills! How are you doing? Thanks for reading and commenting. Mois is a different act altogether; he combines the passion of a poet, the eccentricity of an artist, the lament of a wanderer. I'm sure he enjoys confusing his readers so they won't forget him. Haha!
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

Thank you for your review. It was very interesting to read since I understood the book in a different manner. But I like your approach and I totally agree that reading it was a challenge
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi SilviaP21. I have also read many other OBC reviews of Raquel Says and I have yet to find two similar interpretations of the story. I think the title should be Raquel Says (Something Entirely Confusing) haha.

I call us who have read Benarroch as "The Benarroch Survivors". He is surely a difficult read but his work stays with you. I think he aims for it to be that way.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Great review. But I guess this isn't of type . But I enjoyed your review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for your kind words Darakhshan Nazir. See you in the forums!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I was drawn to your review by the title of this book. How fitting given that a central theme of the book is the power of words! Thank you.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

The title is really intriguing. But given Benarroch's writing style, the better title seems to be "Raquel Says Something Entirely Confusing."

I am sure all of us who have experienced Benarroch will find him unforgettable.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The title is really intriguing. But given Benarroch's writing style, the better title seems to be "Raquel Says Something Entirely Confusing."

I am sure all of us who have experienced Benarroch will find him unforgettable.
Ha ha, yes. At his best he can handle those strange aspects well.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”