Review by Amy Baker -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Baker
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-baker.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Amy Baker -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amy Baker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Patrick, the likable rescuer from Lemoncella Cocktail, finds himself on a whole new path just when he needed direction. He becomes close to a family that is in serious danger. He goes from a lost man with no plan, to a man with a sense of family. After being in the right place at the right time, he finds himself in the middle of illegal gun sales. This is a large departure from the life he generally keeps as a bartender who minds his own business. Patrick’s childhood trauma haunts him, and he fears it will follow him forever. He longs to step outside of its shadow, and get the push he needs from an unlikely source.

The author gives you an interesting cast of characters. There are not too many to keep track of, and they are brought back into the story at appropriate times. It gives the reader a feeling of suspense to see how they would reappear. Each one brought something different to the plot, and helped to move the story forward in an enjoyable way.

Lemmoncella Cocktail, puts Patrick in all new situations. He cares deeply for the young character Justin and his Grandmother Jessica. I think he was propelled by his growing love for them to allow himself to be put in new, scary situations. He goes undercover to help save a member of the Mcleod family. The plot unfolds all around him and his growing connection to this family. He grows, learns, and helps this family without a lot of worry about his own safety and security.

I give Lemoncella Cocktail 3 out of 4 stars. There were constant editing errors. Nearly every page had a mistake. It was as if a non-English speaker translated the language. It was the plot and the well-developed characters that cause me to keep reading. A lot of the conversation sounded as if a child is speaking. The plot was so well laid out, and I felt very connected to the characters that I was able to overlook the errors and keep reading. There were points in this book where I was transported to the moment, and that is a sign of a well written book. I could smell the smells and hear the sounds as if the character were in front of me.

The end of Lemoncella Cocktail, wraps up nicely. However, I saw a missed opportunity in the story. The Climax didn’t draw me in the way other parts of the book did. It answered all the questions I had remaining, but could have been done with more excitement. It was lacking the transportation into the book I mentioned previously. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. There was plenty of action and excitement. It was peppered with a love story also. There was just enough romance to be interesting, but is nowhere near a romance novel. With a professional editor, this book could be really enjoyable.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amy Baker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree, the characters were fairly likable, but the climax didn't really draw me in either. Also, I agree with the editing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like your description of Patrick and agree that the many errors are frustrating. Great comments!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”