Review by Jaime Lync -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Review by Jaime Lync -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alex Fine, our protagonist (and narrator), was attracted by the internet from a very young age. Since he lived in a poor Los Angeles orphanage most of his life, he didn’t have many chances to access the internet until the orphanage got a computer lab when he was 18 years old. The very same night of the computer lab’s debut, Alex was able to access the internet in a completely surreal way – ‘electroportation’. Alex discovers that he is able to travel through the internet to anywhere in the world. Moreover, while in the digital web, Alex is also capable of downloading databases and manipulating archived data.

How does our protagonist decide to use his newfound superpowers? He determines to use these abilities for good. However, like so many well-intentioned young people, Alex must also wrestle with his natural impulsiveness, naivety, and inability to reel in his raging hormones. These character flaws shipwreck his noble schemes and lead to unexpected tragedies.

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is an intriguing fictional novel that cannot be boxed into one genre. The author masterfully blends sci-fi, romance, and crime in this thrilling book. Although the thought of traveling through the internet sounds implausible, Fayman provides a very convincing background story to explain why and how this mode of transportation was developed. The romance aspect of this book was not forced, nor was it an afterthought; rather, it complimented both the sci-fi and crime themes. Moreover, there was a portion of this book that had me in real suspense. I don’t usually experience suspense while reading, not even mystery books, so this was a great experience for me.

There were a couple of grammatical errors, but they were too insignificant to subtract from the enjoyment of Fayman’s masterpiece. I especially liked that the author opted to have many short chapters instead of a few long ones. However, the final chapter was a brief two paragraphs that left the story with a major cliffhanger and no signs of a second book on the way. Fortunately, after a quick Google search, I was happy to find out that Superhighway 2 was recently published (May 1, 2017). It also seems that the series is planned to be a trilogy. I hope to be able to read the entire series.

At first I was tempted to rate this novel 3 stars because of the inconclusive ending, however, after realizing that the second installment in the series is already available I decided to award Superhighway 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this to everyone, especially sci-fi enthusiasts.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Flor26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flor26 »

This is June's book of the month...awesome. The premise seems cool. Would love to read this. Great review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Hi Flor, I was really glad for the opportunity to read and review this great book. Hope you get to read it.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I read it too. It was really an interesting book. I liked the idea of a digital Robin Hood.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for the comment Amagine. I am glad that you read it too because the book was really great for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've started this book as it's book of the month in june. I think I got about halfway through, but for some reason it's not holding my attention. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! I'm not usually a big sci-fi fan, but after reading your review, I am excited to give this one a try! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote:I've started this book as it's book of the month in june. I think I got about halfway through, but for some reason it's not holding my attention. Thanks for the review, though.
I totally understand you. This book was really good for me but I have my fair share of half read books that for some reason or the other I was not able to get engaged with the story- usually, it is the writing style that throws me off though at the time of reading I can't tell.
hsimone wrote:Great review! I'm not usually a big sci-fi fan, but after reading your review, I am excited to give this one a try! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
I'm glad my review was able to influence you. Hope you enjoy Superhighway.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I eagerly downloaded this book a few weeks ago when it was BOTD. I am really intrigued by the concept of entering the web and traveling along its "highway." Looking forward to the discussion forums when this becomes the BOTM for June. Which reminds me that we only have a few days left in May and a long holiday weekend is here. So I think it is time for me to dive into this one. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for stopping by Spirit Wandering
AuGold

Post by AuGold »

Nice review! I am actually interested in reading this book after reading your thoughts. Thanks!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Glad you liked it sis. Hope you get to read it.
General Doc

Post by General Doc »

This book sounds sweet! I always wanted a superpower like this. Thanks for sharing the review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for stopping by General Doc. Hope you get to read it.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I read the sample on Amazon and the book seemed interesting. I thought you
wrote a great review and your review is one of the reasons why I've decided to read the
rest of the novel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”