Review by Jaime Lync -- Farmer Beau's Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Review by Jaime Lync -- Farmer Beau's Farm

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Old McDonald isn’t the only one with a farm. Farmer Beau and his wife, Bamma, also enjoy the farm life. Farmer Beau had a kitten. Actually, he had six kittens. The couple loved those kittens. Unfortunately, as the kittens grew older, they decided to leave the farm one by one until only one was left. Fortunately, Farmer Beau and his wife were able to persuade the last kitten to stay by building it a little house. They even give the kitten a name, Kailey.

Soon after, Kailey befriended Samantha Bunny and invited her to live with her on the farm. The two friends lead a carefree life at the farm until they overhear Farmer Beau and his wife talking about taking in another animal. They are worried about the farmer's reputation because the incoming animal is an ''unusual'' addition to the farm. That is not the only thing they are anxious about. What if this newbie hogs all of Farmer Beau's and Bamma's affection? The only way for you to find out what happens after this mystery animal moves into the farm is to read this children's book and find out.

The main themes in this book seem to be friendship and acceptance. Farmer Beau and his wife lovingly accepted Kailey and Samantha into their farm. Will the furry creatures be able to do the same for the new animal? Geiger provides a very vital moral lesson to the readers in a story that flows smoothly from page to page.

Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger is an enjoyable read. Due to its brevity and the picturesque illustrations, I was fully immersed in the book. Talking about illustrations, Farmer Beau and Bamma looked very different in various drawings. For instance, Bamma looks like a middle-aged woman in the first picture, but then in the second picture we see her in, she looks like a little girl. However, I don’t think that the intended audience would mind these flaws. I would highly recommend this to parents and teachers who are trying to motivate children (age range: 3-8) to develop a love for reading. Geiger employs a very simplistic vocabulary but from a child’s perspective, this book can be a great source for vocabulary building.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not identify any major grammatical or editorial flaws in this book. I actually have no negative remarks to say about Farmer Beaus’s Farm other than the previously mentioned issue with the illustrations.

Farmer Beau's Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! How strange that Farmer Beau and Bamma are drawn differently in various pictures. That could be confusing to children. Glad you enjoyed the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Flor26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flor26 »

I share the same sentiment with Bookwolie, that some young children might be confused by the illustrational flaws, Great review though.
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

I wonder if you would recommend this book to parents expecting another child? I know often women expecting their second children sometimes worry about how they will be able to explain to the older children that they won't be replaced.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Antares wrote:I wonder if you would recommend this book to parents expecting another child? I know often women expecting their second children sometimes worry about how they will be able to explain to the older children that they won't be replaced.
Antares, I definitely would recommend this book to parents in that situation. I should have mentioned that in the review. Thanks for your comment.
General Doc

Post by General Doc »

This sounds like a great book for young reading enthusiasts. Awesome review!
AuGold

Post by AuGold »

I think that our little sis would enjoy this book. Good review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks General and AuGold. I really do think that Mey would enjoy this.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also think it's interesting that the characters were sometimes drawn differently in different pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, though. Sounds like a pretty good story with good lessons for children. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks. I think Children's books are my favourite genre.
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

Old McDonald isn't the only one with a farm - nice one. I enjoyed your review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Glad you liked it John.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

You have a nice flair for adding a bit of humor at the beginning of your reviews to entice us. I really like that. The suggestion to have parents expecting a second child to read this to their first child is an awesome idea. I like the themes of this book. I'm not sure if I would like the illustrations. I've seen this cover from time to time on this site and I don't like the pink giraffe. The bunny and kitten look friendly enough but that giraffe is just a bit too odd looking for my taste. Great review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 May 2018, 15:29 You have a nice flair for adding a bit of humor at the beginning of your reviews to entice us. I really like that. The suggestion to have parents expecting a second child to read this to their first child is an awesome idea. I like the themes of this book. I'm not sure if I would like the illustrations. I've seen this cover from time to time on this site and I don't like the pink giraffe. The bunny and kitten look friendly enough but that giraffe is just a bit too odd looking for my taste. Great review.
Thank you. I am glad that you appreciate my humor. I can see that a pink giraffe can be off-putting since they are usually depicted as yellow with brownish spots (which is a really good look if you ask me).

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”