Review by veniq mars -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
veniq mars
Currently Reading: Spirits of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veniq-mars.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Review by veniq mars -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

Post by veniq mars »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title: The expelled
Author: Mois Benarroch
Translator: Pamela Deccache
Publisher: Babelcube Incorporated
Genre: Science fiction / fantasy

The narrator comes across Gabrielle, a lady identical to his wife though younger. He ends up cheating on his wife with her. The fact that that lady is actually hi real wife is amazing. He reads her one of his latest work about an hijacked bus and there is drama in the bus regarding the front and back people. The novel is about a story where in the middle someone tells another story. You come across the expelled, the Sephardim who arrived in Morocco after the inquisition. The narrator however feels feels expelled as well. He goes further to explain how. The novel turns into a chilling and far reaching reminder that a story in a story can create a rewarding adventure. Mois presents himself as one of the gifted and acclaimed writer through this work.

The writer turns off a tangent in between the story and suddenly you are extra informed about the discrimination surrounding him against minorities and poverty. He further shares the struggle he goes through as a writer and that he is actually a man of straw. He does not put too much focus on the theme and this avoids boredom. The novel is not so immersed in the main theme.

I love the humour portrayed. Who does not love laughing when reading books. The writer makes fun of serious and emotional situations. Describing security check as machines looking for bombs. How he cools down a boner when he has one, he thinks about the tractors of kibbutz . So much more humour as you keep going. I will definitely remember to grab Mois' work the next time I am down. Books are meant to uplift spirits, they are not supposed to be boring. This is what this unique work is all about.

Every music lover should read this book, the narrator believes he has a music station in his head where he keeps changing songs according to the mood and condition he finds himself in. It also a recommendation for comedy lovers too. Both of them must love reading books first. Such books are sometimes rare to come across. Even so, its really hard to actually settle on a specific group to recommend. If you are a lover of fantasy then it is basically ideal. Most skeptical readers will conclude feeling less gloomy.

The fact that it is a translation makes you scared of the grammar mistakes that you expect. Its positive that the mistakes although present , are few. Somehow you understand the reason for their existence. Apart from the grammar mistakes, it is dense in substance. I love reading this book but even so, it could be much fun if there were no such mistakes.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is not that bad off after all. It is dramatic. It is full of humour. It is unique. And a lot of readers will find it interesting. No doubt. If you only read one book a year, this is absolutely it.

The Expelled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like veniq mars's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I especially liked the way you started it.
veniq mars
Currently Reading: Spirits of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veniq-mars.html

Post by veniq mars »

Thank you
I appreciate.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was also able to read this book and I found it profound and thought-provoking. The story is open to many interpretations. I was curious to know how other readers would see it.

Amazon describes Mois Benarroch as an enigmatic writer. This book confirms that.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”