Review of Niching Up

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shiloh Stone
Currently Reading: The Poisonwood Bible
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiloh-stone.html
Latest Review: Mimsy by Don Blossom
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Niching Up

Post by Shiloh Stone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Niching Up" by Chris Dreyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

From stumbling into affiliate marketing by creating a joke website to founding a top-performing SEO company, Chris Dreyer has experienced incredible success using one particular method: niching. Niching is something of a hot topic in the business world and is often recommended for those wanting to get into the world of business. Dreyer’s honest introduction to niching in Niching Up gives a full overview of the technique and offers his unique perspective from many years of experience and success.

In his book, Dreyer offers a well-rounded view of niching. For someone who has found so much success, you would expect him to be gung-ho about what has worked for him. And while he certainly is clear that he believes it is a good choice for almost everyone, he isn’t afraid to lay out the cons and barriers created by niching. His honesty encourages the reader to trust his advice, not only due to his expertise but due to his integrity. He also writes with language that is accessible to the layman and beginner and a humor that keeps would-be dry content entertaining.

Although the simplicity of the book is a positive for those new to business in general, for an expert, or even a business student, the content may be too shallow to be helpful. Even without a background in business, much of the advice is common sense. Additionally, while Dreyer’s relaxed writing style makes for easy reading, he occasionally leans too heavily on anecdotes and analogies that are intended to be charming and relatable, but often feel distracting and irrelevant. Fewer analogies would make the reading experience more streamlined, considering many of the situations being explained are simple enough to start with.

I rate this book a four out of five. Overall, I found this book to be quite informative and enjoyable. It was very well-written, and easy to read, and even without a background in business I was able to comprehend nearly all of the topics quite well. I would recommend this for anyone interested in dipping their toes into the business world or just interested in the behind-the-scenes. However, as mentioned before, the simplicity may make the book unhelpful to those already inclined to pick up a business-related book. This in combination with the unnecessary analogies and examples bring my rating down to a four out of five.

Niching Up
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Mimsy by Don Blossom

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”