Review by AmeliaLovesBooks -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Review by AmeliaLovesBooks -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O’Hare is a page-turning murder mystery novel. Written in the third person, this classic “who-dunnit” follows the murder investigation of three people, all murdered at 11:05 p.m. Newly promoted Woman Police Sergeant Denise Stewart is just one of the many detectives on the case, along with DCI Sheehan and a whole slew of detectives eager to take down a killer. But how are these murders connected? With every new clue uncovered- the plot thickens, the suspense rises, and the thrill of the chase is on.

The story is well-written; fluid and smooth. With a complex plot, the author manages to keep things moving without getting lost in too many details. Character development is simple, but effectively done. The author integrates an easy amount of humor and healthy dose of romance to keep the reader wanting more. This murder mystery has layers and layers of sub-plots and twists. I thought this might be stressful to me as the reader, but this wasn’t the case. These layers add depth and weight. From the personal life of our main Sergeant to a shocking climax of events, I could only read in angst waiting to see what would happen next.

It was refreshing to read a mystery without the cliché location of New York or Chicago. I enjoyed reading with an unconventional environment to add a fresh look to mystery novels; Ireland of all places. Different dynamic, different dialogue, it is truly an original story for the senses.

I’m hard-pressed to find anything I didn’t like about it. Spelling and grammar was immaculate, and aside from a few missing commas, it’s evident that this was well edited. I really appreciate finishing a mystery without any loose ends hanging, and by the end of this book, things are wrapped up in a nice, neat bow and I felt satisfied with the time I spent reading. There is a few scenes that may not be considered tasteful to a younger audience, as well as some coarse language.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Brian O’Hare has definitely outdone himself with this one, and I hope to read his other mysteries soon. It’s an easy and fun ride of a story. I’d recommend this book for anyone who loves a good thriller, or anyone who is just looking for a fresh face to add to their library of mystery novels.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like AmeliaLovesBooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting comments. I also enjoyed the occasional humor and romance intertwined with the investigation and crime scene descriptions. Great job!
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

I agree that the writing is smooth and fluid, and that the author doesn't throw too much details at the reader. Not all the characters were fully developed, but they were, as you said, "effectively done." It seems Brian O'Hare puts in the right amount of everything. I might just check out the first Sheehan Mystery book.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

You know I didn't even think about the setting. You are right, Chicago and New York are very cliche settings for a Murder Mystery. I rated the book two out of four stars
ReadingRob
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrob.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ReadingRob »

Whether right or wrong, I almost always judge a book by its cover. If I like what I see on the cover and it has an intriguing title, I will always try to find out more about it. Reviews like yours are very helpful in this manner. Your review has made this a must-read for me, and I was very happy to see that it was well-edited, as this is of huge importance to me. Thanks for the review.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I am glad you found this book to be enjoyable.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”