Review by Swara Sangeet -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Review by Swara Sangeet -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann relates a story with a strong belief about rebirth. I am not sure whether I actually believe in the concept of rebirth, but the story was fascinating enough. Amanda Parker is the protagonist, who worries that her love causes the death of people whom she cares about. She saves a mounted policeman, Officer Mark Callahan, who was about to be hit by a train and both of them seem to know each other. As they are unable to recall when they met, they wonder if it was in their previous life. The binding factor is an old pendulum clock with loud chimes which they find in a shop. The shopkeeper, Ed Morgan, conducted first aid for Amanda when she was injured while saving Mark. Amanda buys the clock and is fascinated and pulled to it by some invisible force. Even her cat, Oprah, seems unable to take her eyes off of it.

Mary, who has taken Amanda in as a tenant ever since Amanda lost her parents, is a professional therapist. Mark asks her if she knows about regression therapy, a practice used to recall memories of past lives. She lets both Amanda and Mark know the risks and regulations of it, to which they agree. Mary begins regression therapy for Amanda, because she finds it astonishing that Amanda is so interested in the old clock. Amanda learns that she was Bonnie May Lexington in her previous life, who lived during the time of the great Chicago Fire. Along with their cousin, Jack Wellington, she is helped to flee from her home and is adopted by Penelope and Chester. Throughout her regressions, Amanda wonders if Mark existed in her previous life as well. Meanwhile, Mark finds historical records pertaining to the clock and both of them even investigate the same when they go to Charlestown for an article Amanda needs to write for her job.

I am not (and I don’t think the author is either) forcing any reader to believe in rebirth. But the story was satisfactorily fascinating. In the beginning, I found it dragging along quite sluggishly, but the pace picked up near the end. The reader’s curiosity is fed by trying to figure out Mark’s character in the previous life. Amanda tries to discourage Mark in loving her because she feels like she is a bad luck charm. She lost her mother, father, elder brother and fiancé. During her regressions, she finds similar incidences which occurred, including her nanny and his husband as well. She is afraid that Mark or Mary would also die because of her love for them. I was rooting for the pair, Mark and Amanda, to get together despite their difference in opinion.

I felt that the language at certain times was not appropriate, along with description of some adult content. I have never liked such material and so I would say the same for people who are like me. The end of the story is beautiful and I guess it’s worth it. But I think the flow at the beginning could have been better. I hope the author keeps up the good work and does the fine tuning to make it a perfect novel.

Mark is shown as a strong and confident policeman. He was thrust into the force when his father was shot and killed, resulting in him quitting medical school. But now, he does his job with pride. His love for Amanda doesn’t waver even when she says that she needs to know whether she knew him in a past life before going on. Amanda is frightened only due to the fact that her love might cause her to lose someone. Otherwise she’s portrayed as a strong woman, willing to fight and determined to win. She is loved by Mary, who is like a mother and friend to her. Her brother, Tom, along with his wife, Connie and three kids, Ron, Tru and Allie are affectionate to her as well. But none of this seemed too unrealistic; rather it felt like natural family love. Amanda has a charm of her own and is sometimes unpredictable, adding layers to the story. Her cat, Oprah, is interlaced with the storyline at the appropriate time.

Because of the reasons I mentioned, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Perhaps with not much of a dragging storyline in the beginning and with content appropriate for all ages, it would earn full credit. The regressions bring a kind of ‘success after struggle’ feeling which is inspirational. This book is worth a read.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Swara Sangeet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I also have no taste for mature content scenes and while there were some steamy scenes in Yesterday it wasn't the most 'steamy' I've ever encountered. Your review does not make it clear that Mary and Amanda are related, not just as therapist/patient or landlord/tenant but that they are actually blood related and close friends. Other than that, the review was really good.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I also have no taste for mature content scenes and while there were some steamy scenes in Yesterday it wasn't the most 'steamy' I've ever encountered. Your review does not make it clear that Mary and Amanda are related, not just as therapist/patient or landlord/tenant but that they are actually blood related and close friends. Other than that, the review was really good.
Thank you. Amanda and Mary are not blood related but just close friends. I'll take care of the details from now on.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, I was so sure that Mary was her maternal aunt. I lost my copy of the book so I can't check it but I guess I'll trust you.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Swara Sangeet wrote:
Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I also have no taste for mature content scenes and while there were some steamy scenes in Yesterday it wasn't the most 'steamy' I've ever encountered. Your review does not make it clear that Mary and Amanda are related, not just as therapist/patient or landlord/tenant but that they are actually blood related and close friends. Other than that, the review was really good.
Thank you. Amanda and Mary are not blood related but just close friends. I'll take care of the details from now on.
Hi Swara,
Mary and Amanda are related by blood. Mary Axelrod is Amanda's maternal aunt. Great review.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

juliusotinyo wrote:
Swara Sangeet wrote:
Hi Swara,
Mary and Amanda are related by blood. Mary Axelrod is Amanda's maternal aunt. Great review.
Is that so? Thanks for letting me know. I think I need to go through the story once again.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I've just had my review published, so, the story is still fresh in my mind. Its one of my favorite books yet.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

juliusotinyo wrote:I've just had my review published, so, the story is still fresh in my mind. Its one of my favorite books yet.
I will definitely check it out! Good to know that you liked it.

-- 20 Aug 2017, 11:12 --
Jaime Lync wrote:Wow, I was so sure that Mary was her maternal aunt. I lost my copy of the book so I can't check it but I guess I'll trust you.
You were right! juliusotinyo just reminded me of this detail. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

A totally different and fascinating theme .
Great review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:A totally different and fascinating theme .
Great review
It is indeed. I hope you like the book. Thank you very much.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”