Review by klbradley -- Audible Book of your Choice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
klbradley
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: The Brilliant Game by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by klbradley -- Audible Book of your Choice

Post by klbradley » 23 Jul 2016, 08:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "Audible Book of your Choice" by Amazon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica is the first audio book that I have ever attempted to "read." The voices used to record the reading are very nice, and enjoyable to listen to. Because the book goes back and forth from different perspectives, it's a nice addition to have more than one voice narrating. I was also glad that there was a male and female voice, not only to change it up a bit, but also so I could keep track of who's story line is who's.

When I first started this novel, I was somewhat annoyed at how slow it seemed that they were reading, which was frustrating to say the least. However, I quickly starting going through the settings on the app and found that you can speed this up a bit, which was relieving. The pronunciation is all done very well, and the speaking is clear throughout. There are different pitches and tones of voice when emotions are used, which is nice because most of the time that is how I am reading the story in my head.

I found the convenience of Audible to be something I could really enjoy and get used to. I have a pretty short commute to and from work, however I was stuck in traffic and was thankfully able to plug my phone to my car and listen to several chapters while waiting. I also washed dishes, and walked my dog while still listening, which I found to be my favorite thing.

My only issue with Audible was my interest fading. I kept finding myself fiddling with something (I painted my nails for a portion) because I find it hard to sit and listen while doing nothing at all. While holding a book or the tablet that I'm reading on, I find that I keep busy with turning the pages, or just simply holding it. There were more than a few times when I would have to use the "go back 30 seconds" option and re-listen to what was recently said. This is a great feature to have for the Audible app, as I would say this is a common occurrence, especially with others like me who have never tried an audio book.

Overall, I would give the Audible app a 3 out of 4 stars. I found that although it is so convenient, I'm really not a fan of audio books much, because I don't feel as involved with a story when I am only listening, however, the app seems to run very smooth with no issues. I plan to keep the membership for at least the full first month and give a few other books a try. I know reading with an audio book is something that can take some time to get used to, so I' going to give it a few more tries before I completely rule it out. I'm appreciative of the opportunity to try this for a free trial. I would still recommend this to others, as I know several people who enjoy audio books.

Audible Book of your Choice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Secrets of Time by Michael Bennett Wilson

Post by teacherjh » 24 Aug 2018, 22:29

You got to pick your own book for the review? That is awesome. I like to listen to audio books while I am doing dishes and other chores.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”