Review by Anchortoemilie -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anchortoemilie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anchortoemilie.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Review by Anchortoemilie -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by Anchortoemilie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many things in this life that don't make sense and there are many things we cannot control. However, we always have the power to choose for ourselves. This endearing story took us on a journey through tough choices, love, confusion, unexplainable depression, and ultimate joy. My Ladybird Story opened my eyes to a subject that I knew very little about, and for that reason it made a lasting impression. I'm still thinking of the characters John, Joyce and Aureus, days after I finished the book.

My Ladybird Story is the ultimate coming of age story, beginning in the early and confused lives of John and Aureus, ending with the exciting and new lives of Joyce and Aureus. We get to see the evolution of two characters in a way that is unique, mysterious and lively. Each page keeps you hungry for the next, craving to know what will happen in the chaotic lives of our two characters. Although I wasn't prepared for the changes that took place in this book, nor do I particularly prefer to read stories centered around these controversies, I found that it was written and sculpted beautifully, and that is something I highly praise Tor for.

John Bird never knew why he was so different, all he knew was that he was classified by the awful nickname "Ladybird" by the bullies around him. He was reminded he was different every day growing up, while people mocked him, knocked him over, and gave him strange looks. He never enjoyed the various sporting events his father forced on him, and he knew his lack of masculinity made his father disappointed. At a young age he labeled himself as a freak and refused to look at himself in the mirror because he hated what he saw. He felt permanently uncomfortable in his own skin, and he felt constantly alone, even after the beautiful Aureus promises never to leave his side. Even with the unwavering support of his best friend, John had his secrets, secrets he could never let anyone know. He goes through stages of hatred, denial, frustration and confusion, but later morphes into a confidant and strong person who knows what he wants and will do all he can to make it happen, regardless of anyone else's opinions. Throughout the course of this story, we get to walk alongside John as he discovers who he truly is, and who he was truly meant to be. Not only is John a character everyone can learn something from, Aureus shows us a very accurate portrayal of what a true friend is, showing unconditional love through the vast sea of unknowns.

Magus Tor was able to make me laugh, smile and cry throughout his enchanting narrative. I love reading books that flow as well as this novel did. His characters were detailed and his scenery was vivid. I admired the way he was able to paint each scene, allowing me to envision each of these character's experiences as if they were my own.

Near the end of the book I did notice a few grammatical and spelling errors, however these were not abundant nor did they take away from the beauty of the story. I do wish the ending provided us with a bit more closure and detail, as I felt it was slightly rushed, and I was forced to say goodbye to the story and the characters sooner than I would have liked.

I rate My Ladybird Story 3 out of 4 stars. Although I would not reread this book again, I would recommend it to a person who feels passionately about people discovering who they are, and learning how to fit into the body where they feel they belong. I am glad I gave this book a chance, for I now understand much better the pain and the hardship that a person can feel when they feel stuck inside a home where they don't belong.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anchortoemilie's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

laugh, smile and cry.. it was definitely a rollercoaster of emotions. Great review :)
Could you have a look at my review and share your comments: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 44&t=51758
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”