Review of Yesterday

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 66%

Review of Yesterday

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As Amanda is coming out of the State and Lake Street station in Chicago, suddenly, the elevated train overhead brakes intensely, desperately trying to come to a stop. Looking up, Amanda is shocked as everything seems to be moving in slow motion. The elevated train comes off the tracks and starts tumbling to the ground. Two mounted Chicago police officers, who were nearby, are caught up in the chaos. One of the horses rears up, and the cop is knocked to the pavement. Instinctively, Amanda runs to pull the officer out of the way of the tumbling train. Where did she get the strength to move an unconscious adult male?

Yesterday by Samyann is part fiction, part historical fact. Amanda Parker lives in Chicago with her cat, Oprah. She saves the life of a handsome Irish Chicago police officer, Mark Patrick Callahan, while getting seriously injured herself. She ends up in the hospital with stitches in her head and a broken arm. After getting out of the hospital, Amanda is compelled to visit the accident scene, which happened in front of an antique store. By coincidence, Mark is also at the antique store and is delighted to see his heroine again. Mark and Amanda feel that they know each other and have met before. More importantly, Amanda is mesmerized by a grandfather clock in the store and decides to purchase it. Read this enthralling novel and discover the connection between Amanda, Mark, and the grandfather clock.

This novel drew me in. I literally could not put it down! I needed to know what was happening next and what the connection was between these two people and their past lives. There was nothing about this book that I did not like. First, it was set in Chicago, my hometown, where I was born and raised! I enjoy reading books where I can relate to the scenery, places, and things. I loved reading about the Chicago fire, which happened in 1871. I also believe in reincarnation and past-life regression, so this was right up my alley. The book made you root for this couple. They were both likable, and they fit together like a glove.

One of the main topics of this book was past-life regression, which is a very controversial subject. People usually either believe in it or are wholeheartedly against it. I have no experience with past-life regression, but I have memories of when I was a child and had a past-life memory. I have dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin from my Italian ancestry. Yet, I remember being a little blond girl who attended a one-room schoolhouse. When I asked my father if I was that little girl, he responded with an astonished look, not knowing what I was talking about. Back in the 1950s, past lives were not even heard of; if they were, they were not discussed.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It had everything in it that I like in a book. A little mystery, a little romance, etc. I enthusiastically give this book 5 out of 5 stars. I think anyone would like this book, whether they believe in past lives or not. There was nothing that I disliked about it. There was not a lot of profane language, and although sex was mentioned, it was not descriptive. I found it to be exceptionally edited and an effortless and satisfying read.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”