Review of Grand Slam Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RafaelaSanchez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaelasanchez.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Review of Grand Slam Life

Post by RafaelaSanchez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Grand Slam Life" by Milton Haber, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber is an incredible book that takes you on a captivating journey through the various phases of the author’s life as a doctor. It vividly narrates the numerous difficulties and triumphs he encountered, spanning from his early years to medical school, his professional career, and his intense experience battling the recent global pandemic.

I adored this book! There were so many positive aspects that stood out to me. Firstly, I greatly appreciated how the author candidly admits to feeling lost at various moments throughout his career. It humanizes him and provides a relatable perspective. Moreover, witnessing the COVID-19 situation through the eyes of a doctor who had a direct impact on his community was truly eye-opening. The author’s ability to convey the personal and professional challenges faced during this time was commendable. Additionally, Stella’s perspective added a unique and valuable dimension to the narrative, allowing readers to grasp the level of care and compassion his patients received.

Regarding the book’s structure, I found it well-crafted and engaging. The strategically placed citations at the beginning of each chapter added an air of authenticity and credibility to the author’s accounts. Furthermore, the inclusion of photographs featuring the author’s family, medical staff, researchers, and colleagues, along with their respective explanations of significance, was a delightful addition. It allowed me to connect more deeply with the individual involved in the author’s life and work. Additionally, the author’s skillful use of revisiting earlier facts that initially seemed random served as a satisfying way to tie the narrative together.

However, if I were to identify a drawback, the author would tend to provide excessive detail, particularly about his early life. While the level of meticulousness enhances certain aspects of the narrative, there were instances where it slowed down the overall pacing and detracted from the reading experience.

In conclusion, I rate this book a 4 out of 5. Despite a few editing errors, the inspirational journey it presents allows readers to gain a profound understanding of the choices the author made throughout his remarkable life. The book brilliantly encompasses both the positive and negative aspects of his experiences, making the acquired knowledge even more captivating. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interested in delving into the trajectory of a doctor’s life and gaining unique insights into the COVID-19 pandemic from the perspective of both a doctor and a patient, encapsulated within the same individual. It is a truly remarkable and engaging read.

Grand Slam Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”