Review of The Date Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emmanuel451
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel451.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The Date Farm

Post by emmanuel451 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Amidst the dangerous quest for justice and the intricate labyrinth of terrorism, The Date Farm by Jack Winnick unveils a world where love and duty intertwine in a gripping tale of suspense and adventure.

A paradise of laughter turned to ashes as darkness descended upon Beverly Hills' vibrant mall. Lives were shattered as sinister figures clad in black rained bullets and tear gas upon unsuspecting shoppers. Amidst the screams, Lara and Uri, newlyweds and dedicated agents of the FBI and Mossad, were abruptly called from their tranquil Ohio retreat. Sacrificing their respite, they embarked on a dangerous quest to unveil the secrets behind this monstrous assault. Lara, the unyielding FBI agent, and Uri, her devoted Mossad partner, formed an unstoppable alliance. Together, they must uncover a sinister plot that extends beyond the mall tragedy and travels from central New York to the mysterious regions of Iran. Lara and Uri prepared to face an ominous menace with heavy hearts and an unquenchable quest for justice. As time slipped through their fingers, they sought to unravel enigmatic clues, their path obscured by uncertainty. Yet, amidst their tireless pursuit, a haunting question loomed: Could they halt the relentless torrent of terror before it consumed them all?

I appreciate the skillful character development in this captivating novel that brings Lara and Uri to life, making them compelling and engaging protagonists. Their unwavering dedication and seamless teamwork make me appreciate their dynamic partnership. Additionally, the global settings vividly described throughout the story immerse me in diverse locations, allowing me to travel alongside the characters. The emotional depth portrayed by the author, evoking feelings of grief and a burning desire for justice, resonates with me, making me appreciate the realistic portrayal of the characters' struggles. Lastly, I love how the novel explores themes of love and courage, inspiring me with the characters' unwavering determination to fight against terrorism.

As I read, I found myself wishing for a broader range of adversaries beyond Islamist terrorists, as their repeated presence throughout the book became predictable and less engaging. Additionally, I don't appreciate the overstretched descriptions that occasionally slowed down the pacing, as I prefer a more concise and dynamic narrative. Furthermore, I dislike the lack of diversity in the types of threats explored, as it would have been intriguing to encounter adversaries such as Russian spies or threats from North Korea, adding more variety and depth to the conflict.

This novel is a great read, filled with captivating characters and a thrilling plot that kept me engaged from beginning to end. However, something about this novel that I don't like prompts me to deduct a star from my rating. I give the novel a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this novel to readers who appreciate gripping crime thrillers and are looking for a well-crafted and expertly edited story. I must commend the exceptional editing of this novel, as I didn't come across any errors throughout my reading experience.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”