Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mohlaba Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohlaba-y.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Mohlaba Y »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray lived in the Lands of the Princes, where an old civil war had ravaged the land. People died of violence and others died of famine. Galen was sure to be a victim of those circumstances, but the papers that were sent to him by his great uncle helped him escape certain death. He managed to run to the Magnum Caelum, a city of Voulhire, where his great uncle's estate was awaiting him. His great uncle had been a successful blacksmith, and upon his death, he left everything to Galen. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz tells the story of how Galen Bray found a new home.

The story also takes place in another city of Voulhire named Hillport. The battle of power we witness in that part of the country is actually the main focus of this novel, however, Galen Bray is the protagonist.

I'm not the biggest fan of the storyline. I thought that it started with a bang. Galen's side of the story began with much excitement, and Hillport's side of events began with a literal bang. There were massive battles at the beginning of the story, but things died down considerably throughout the storyline. I wanted more fights. I wanted more excitement. I wanted bigger conflicts. This is my main critique of the novel.

I must say that Rowan and High Chancellor Midius Maido were my favourite part of the novel. They both have quirky personalities. They both bring a lot of humour into the story. Whilst I feel that I got to know Rowan, I thought that Chancellor Maido needed a few more scenes in the story. I wanted more of him. He was such a brilliant character.

I am rating the story 4 out of 5 stars because I feel that the storyline could have been more exciting. The setting allowed for that. The rest of the storyline didn't live up to the exciting beginning. The other thing that was done exceptionally well was the editing. I saw zero errors, which speaks of the quality of the editing.

I think that people who love stories that are inspired by the medieval era would most likely enjoy this story. There are some elements of fantasy, but these aren't too pronounced to displease anyone who doesn't enjoy them.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”