Review of The Fourth Kinetic

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allison Beard Vion
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Review of The Fourth Kinetic

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Seventeen-year-old Rion is your basic loner. He moves frequently, has no friends, and is trapped in a relentless cycle of boredom. Except for one thing, the singular truth that makes him get up in the morning, yet he can tell no one. He has superpowers. What he doesn’t know is that he’s not the only one.

The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants, by Brady Moore, brings you along on quite the ride. Rion’s boring life breaks open to include a whole host of well-developed, relatable, and diverse characters. Through the book, we step into the world of the Clairvoyants, a mysterious group of folks who can boast of an unusual set of talents. The plot of the book is intriguing every step of the way. It is fast-paced, keeping the storyline moving from the start to the finish. I appreciated the way that the development of the backstory was incorporated seamlessly throughout the book. It felt both natural and intentional. I found myself daydreaming about potential outcomes, storyline surprises, and character arcs. For me, that’s always a sign of a good book.

There were few things to dislike about this book. It had action sequences, emotionally poignant moments, and a good flow between scenes. It has it all! Probably the only minor critique I have is the overuse of the words ‘scowl’ and ‘gnarl.’ Both words were used to describe characters’ expressions frequently, to the point that I started to notice the pattern. But truly, this is a small complaint.

I gave the book 5 out of 5 stars because it is excellent. I was entranced throughout the whole novel, barely pausing to go to work or sleep. I believe it is appropriate for fantasy readers 13 and up. It includes some violence but nothing too detailed or gruesome, as well as some swearing. I would happily recommend this book to any fantasy reader I know.

The Fourth Kinetic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”