Review of Disappearance

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Disappearance

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Disappearance" by Julien Ayotte.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Paul O'Malley, the head of the U.S. Marshals Service, becomes concerned when one of the witnesses in the WITSEC (witness security program) is murdered. WITSEC reallocates people who testify against mobsters to a new location under a different name, and to date, not a single life has been lost. Would there be a leak in the department? Or was it just a coincidence? His doubts dissipated when a second victim, also part of the program, was found dead.

Deeply concerned about a possible leak, Paul contacts his friend Harry, a retired Providence Bureau agent of the FBI, to help him in his investigation. Harry is the only person who is both capable and trustworthy. As Harry starts investigating, he realizes that these are not random victims who are in WITSEC. They were targeted for a reason. But what would they have in common? And who is after them? Disappearance by Julien Ayotte is a crime novel that you will not want to miss.

This novel is beautifully written and well-paced. The events follow a good sequence as the investigation proceeds and the story unfolds. I certainly did not expect the course the story would take. For some reason, I thought we would go through death after death until, eventually, they got the killer and his accomplice. To my surprise, the story took on more depth than that. The characters are incredibly credible in their own way, and I might have just found my favorite killer. His cleverness and mischievousness were a great addition to the plot. The book was exciting and gripping. It's the first book I have read from this author, and I was positively impressed. I appreciate that the author highlighted how the witnesses under the program need to leave everything behind and start over, never returning to their original location or contacting people they knew.

The author gave proper closure to all the questions. However, there was one open question regarding who killed one of the characters, Darryl. There is also the sense that some events were unlikely to happen in real life; for example, there was no apparent reason as to why the killer would take the risk of shooting at a public event. Of course, this made events much more interesting, as this was a turning point in the storyline.

The points described above didn't keep me from enjoying this book, which is why I happily rate it 5 out of 5 stars. Furthermore, the book is very well edited, and I found only two punctuation errors.

I would recommend this book to fans of crime thrillers. It is also recommended for adult readers because of the language and violent content. However, the author didn't dwell too much on the crimes themselves.

Disappearance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

This book sure seems super-interesting, and I love its storyline; the book seems quite immersive and pulsating as one must be eager to find out who the killers of the witnesses are and the connection between the assassinated witnesses. What's even more intriguing? "...I might have just found my favorite killer." That there. What's so fascinating about this character that makes you like him? I'd be delighted to find out. This is an outstanding review, Sara. Kudos!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Sarah Zain »

Your review is thorough and highlight the good points of The book which seems to have an interesting plot with twist as I understanded. It will be on my list for sure . Nicely done sara .
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Blackstenius wrote: 27 May 2023, 20:26 This book sure seems super-interesting, and I love its storyline; the book seems quite immersive and pulsating as one must be eager to find out who the killers of the witnesses are and the connection between the assassinated witnesses. What's even more intriguing? "...I might have just found my favorite killer." That there. What's so fascinating about this character that makes you like him? I'd be delighted to find out. This is an outstanding review, Sara. Kudos!
Thank you so much for commenting! As I started reading the book I was sure I wanted them to catch the "damn killer" but somehow along the story I start rooting for the killer. I certainly did not expect that ahah really liked that little twist of feelings. Thank you so much again for your kind words 🙏
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Sarah Zain wrote: 27 May 2023, 23:15 Your review is thorough and highlight the good points of The book which seems to have an interesting plot with twist as I understanded. It will be on my list for sure . Nicely done sara .
Thank you so much Sarah. I believe it is a great read yes 🙌
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The novel sounds thrilling and full of mystery. It seems that the department has a problem. And I wonder what is the reason why they targeted those who are murdered. Your review, Sarah is intriguingly well-written and I enjoyed your summary of the book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 28 May 2023, 20:37 The novel sounds thrilling and full of mystery. It seems that the department has a problem. And I wonder what is the reason why they targeted those who are murdered. Your review, Sarah is intriguingly well-written and I enjoyed your summary of the book.
Thank you, Hazel! 🙏 I found my new favourite book genre hahaha and I like unpredictability. Thank you so much for your kind words
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu wrote: 29 May 2023, 03:48
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 28 May 2023, 20:37 The novel sounds thrilling and full of mystery. It seems that the department has a problem. And I wonder what is the reason why they targeted those who are murdered. Your review, Sarah is intriguingly well-written and I enjoyed your summary of the book.
Thank you, Hazel! 🙏 I found my new favorite book genre hahaha and I like unpredictability. Thank you so much for your kind words
Your laugh, Sara is manifesting. :D :lol2: I always like your comment because it always sounds happy. You are welcome.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I absolutely love crime-thrillers! Disappeared sounds very interesting and is definitely going on my TBR. Great review!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Smrithi Arun wrote: 29 May 2023, 08:35 I absolutely love crime-thrillers! Disappeared sounds very interesting and is definitely going on my TBR. Great review!
Thank you so much..you are very kind! I hope you like it 😁
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This is definitely on my to-read list after your comment about the killer. The storyline sounds like a true thriller. I hope I get to read it soon so I can discuss it with you, Sara. Thanks for this exceptional review and excellent recommendation. I absolutely enjoyed reading it.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 29 May 2023, 18:16 This is definitely on my to-read list after your comment about the killer. The storyline sounds like a true thriller. I hope I get to read it soon so I can discuss it with you, Sara. Thanks for this exceptional review and excellent recommendation. I absolutely enjoyed reading it.
Oh dear Omneya! thank you much for your kind words. I hope you like it as much as I did 😁😁 yeah I don't know how I went from "get him!" to "please dont let them get him" 🤭
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Being in the witness protection program sounds scary enough without adding a possible connection among the victims. This storyline would make an interesting crime novel indeed. Thank you for your thorough review and recommendation, Sara!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 17:07 Being in the witness protection program sounds scary enough without adding a possible connection among the victims. This storyline would make an interesting crime novel indeed. Thank you for your thorough review and recommendation, Sara!
Thank you v much for commenting. I did appreciate the author's creativity and the plot 🙌
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Crime thrillers, I'd like that. I've watched a South Indian movie about relocating a witness, but it's more comedic. The hero had to fake his own death in order to escape the criminal and get a new identity.
I really like your review Sara. The plot sounds intriguing in what you've described and I'm down to read Disappearance. Good job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”