Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace by Dr. Gloulem Berrah is an enlightening and insightful nonfiction memoir of the brave author telling his story of the experiences and struggles he faces as he becomes a freedom fighter trying to gain the freedom of his country, Algeria.

Born in Ain Beida, a small town in the province of Constantine. He was raised by his mother, who took care of him and valued his education highly. He was awarded various scholarships, among which he chose to travel to France and study medicine at the University of Bordeaux. There, he joined various groups at the university to fight against colonization and for the freedom of Algeria. He escaped to Spain after learning of plans for his arrest, and he spent some time there in prison. He continued to fight for the freedom of his people after being freed, and he then relocated to Morocco. There, he enrolled in law school to gain legal authorization to organize Algerian students. He continued his education in the US, where he eventually graduated as a scientist. To achieve more for Africa, he left the US to become a special advisor to the President of Cote d’Ivoire. He also helped build their country, and after the death of the president, he retired to the US with his wife. Read the book A Dream for Peace to discover more about how Dr. Berrah managed his numerous diplomatic initiatives.

I always loved reading the autobiographies of great people; they always gave me, as a reader, the chance to explore the lives of the authors and gain insight into the real-life experiences of their lives. A Dream for Peace showed the passionate and selfless attitude of Dr. Berrah towards his country. I loved that the book would act as a positive reference to the governments of countries, as they should try to emulate the love Dr. Berrah showed to the country. Many countries, especially developing countries, would have progressed better if they had leaders like him. I learned a lot from reading the book, as the author introduced us, the readers, to the cultures of the various places he visited.

I commend the author’s descriptive writing used in the book. Likewise, I became endorsed in the early chapters of the book when he described some of the cultures of his people. It was engaging to read. The language used in the book was also simple and easygoing. Even when discussing various diverse topics like politics and historical events, he made them so simple to understand that they didn’t in any way overwhelm me as I read through. It was insightful as he introduced us to the world of international politics. The addition of pictures with captions to the book is another aspect I also loved; it showed the authenticity of the stories.

I also fell in love with various characters in the book, most especially the mother of Dr. Berrrah. I loved the way she did everything in her capacity for him to be able to complete his education despite their background. Furthermore, I was touched that, despite being on her deathbed, she thought his sisters would take care of themselves, thus making him promise to take care of them. It made me appreciate the various sacrifices mothers make for their children.

The only aspect of this book I disliked was the length of the book; it was a bit too lengthy. I also didn’t like that the author didn’t take us back to his family in Algeria, especially his sisters. I found just a few errors in the book; the book was professionally edited. However, the above observations didn’t stop me from enjoying the book. I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. The book was well written, and I learned a lot from the experiences of the author. It was inspiring to read through.

I would recommend the book to readers who love reading the memoirs of individuals. I would also recommend it to those interested in the political and historical history of Africa.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Certified Clef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-certified-clef.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Certified Clef »

Such a detailed review. It would be perfect for readers interested in the political history of Africa.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

I have come across reviews of this book countless times and I still find it intriguing that the author compiled his experience in a book. It's funny I haven't read the book yet but I'm really looking forward to it. Nice review.
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah has made history in Africa. His handiwork should not be left untold. Great review anyway?!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”