Review of The Poison Of Perfection

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review of The Poison Of Perfection

Post by Paul Link »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Poison Of Perfection" by Angela Wadley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you tired of constantly chasing after impossible standards? Do you feel weighed down by the pressure to always appear flawless and put together, sacrificing your happiness and success in the process? Then, The Poison of Perfection by Angela Wadley may give you just what you need. In this bite-size read, Wadley highlights how an obsession with perfection can affect different aspects of our lives, including our dating life, friendships, career, and personal goals. She emphasizes the negative impact of seeking perfection and provides practical solutions for overcoming this urge. She encourages readers to focus on authenticity and self-acceptance while working toward their goals.

The author not only argues against perfectionism but also suggests certain methods such as journaling, meditation, and yoga to encourage readers to become more mindful of themselves. What struck me deeply was the idea that for the details we wait to be in place, we don’t even know how important they are unless we rise to the occasion and start acting. That’s why Wadley says, “You learn best by doing.”

Despite the intention behind it, this book lacks depth. First, it lacks a personal tone. There was no indication in the book of who the author is and why she has the credibility to write this book. Second, the book didn’t contain any real-life personal experiences, such as anecdotes, scientific facts, and case studies readers expect from these kinds of books.

If this book didn’t have any detail about practical thoughtfulness methods such as meditation, I would rate it less than three stars. But I am rating it three out of five stars because it lacks basic things that make a book valuable. Moreover, I did not find any typos or grammatical issues.

The book is a helpful guide for anyone struggling with the pressure of perfectionism and seeking to live a more fulfilling life.

The Poison Of Perfection
View: on Bookshelves
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

I appreciate the way this book draws from real-life experiences, making it a relatable and personal choice. The author's approach to the topic is admirable, as indicated by your review, where she effectively conveys the concept of perfection as a mindset and provides insights on how to pursue the best possible outcome instead of fixating on an unattainable ideal. Great review.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

The lack of depth and personal tone indeed my be a huge setback and negatively affect how much readers appreciate the narrative. Thanks for the review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

In a book on this subject, it is important to connect with the author or at least with personal examples given. I appreciate your observation of this aspect missing in this read.

Thank you for your honest and thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Yuichi_4katagiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yuichi_4katagiri »

The Poison of Perfection" is an important and timely book that challenges the pervasive culture of perfectionism. Author adeptly exposes the harmful effects of this mindset while offering a roadmap towards self-acceptance and genuine happiness. By encouraging readers to embrace their imperfections and let go of unattainable standards, this book has the power to liberate individuals from the toxic cycle of perfection. A must-read for anyone seeking a more meaningful and fulfilling life.
Last edited by Yuichi_4katagiri on 01 Jun 2023, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”