Review of Tour of Duty

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Geoff Muriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoff-muriithi.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Review of Tour of Duty

Post by Geoff Muriithi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tour of Duty by William H. Coles is a historical fiction novel about the events of post-World War II when Miles Ballard came to France to work as a military doctor. After the introduction, he starts patient care, and Oliver briefs him on what he is expected to do regarding patient care. The base commander, Brigadier General Thomas Read, had health problems due to a series of heart problems, and Colonel Springer assigned Miles to be his doctor. Miles started becoming friends with Oliver and Ingrid, and they would take dinner together occasionally. There change of several things after Miles and Ingrid are involved in an accident. Ingrid starts to have trust issues with Oliver, which affects their marriage. The changes affect the base and Miles's career.

I liked the character Miles Ballard since he was that person able to resist fancy things to maintain his integrity. Colonel Springer ordered him to falsify the laboratory results of an officer involved in an accident under alcohol influence; he declined it even though he knew it affected his career to maintain his integrity. I liked the historical events the book uncovers, such as the Cold War and World War II, since Alyce, Read's daughter, tries to investigate them and write a story of what happened during the war. Finally, I liked how the author described events in the novel since it created a clear image of the scenes; for instance, the accident during hiking.

I have nothing to criticize in this novel. It was enjoyable and had several interesting stories to follow, such as the career and love story of Miles Ballard.

I rate Tour of Duty by William H. Coles five out of five stars. The book was professionally edited because it had an error. The character development was great, which made reading the story of the characters enjoyable, for instance, Miles Ballard. The author described the scenes well, enabling readers to have an image of what was happening in those scenes and how the affected people felt. I felt emotionally connected to the novel. With all these, it deserves a perfect rating.

I recommend this book to people interested in events during the Cold War. The book talks about the interesting story of Miles Ballard and uncovers some of the events during the Cold War period.

Tour of Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”