Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Review of McDowell

Post by Conrad Writes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is a captivating biography of Hiram McDowell, written by William H. Coles titled McDowell. Hiram is a prominent surgeon, but he has no life outside his career. His greed and insatiable need for wealth and power left him void of any personal relationships. After losing his wife to cancer, he decides to marry a widow with two children of her own.

He managed to reach the height of his career, but most people never had the chance to see him as the self-centered person he truly was. His misogynistic nature was a tiring problem, and he refused to care about the opinions of women. Hiram mistreated his wives, and his children were neglected in many ways despite their father's wealth. He even deceived Michael O'Leary to get the job as president of the International College of Surgeons. But an unfortunate incident forces Hiram to rethink his priorities and realize that his need for social status truly has no meaning. Paige is a journalist tasked with getting research on the life of Dr. Hiram McDowell for a television special. Can she discover the true nature of the respected doctor? Find out more by reading this remarkable piece.

This book had a lot of positive aspects. To be honest, I was unsure of what to expect from this book, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was written in a manner that would inspire a rollercoaster of emotions in the reader. The story shows the doctor rising to fame and prominence while sacrificing his relationship with his family at the same time. The characters in the book were well-developed, and it is clear that the author took his time to ensure they were carefully crafted. The unexpected twist in the plot really shocked me because I did not expect what happened to Hiram.

I believe this book has a recurring theme about the value of morality. The reason for everything Hiram experienced was that he failed to think about the consequences of his wrong behavior. The author prompts readers to wonder if satisfaction can only be felt with fame and power. The book also addressed a lot of interesting topics, including Hiram's opinion on euthanasia or assisted suicide and the bribery of officials in positions of power. I was able to learn quite a bit of information and hard truths while reading about these issues.

There was nothing negative about this book, and I have decided to rate it 5 out of 5 stars. There was absolutely no reason to deduct any stars, and I did not find any grammatical errors or typos, so I believe the book was exceptionally well-edited. 

I will recommend this book to anyone interested in the medical field and politics. I also recommend it to young adults because this book could teach them a lot.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

McDowell is an interesting novel which follows the life of a surgeon. I love how the author portrayed the life of McDowell, selfish and arrogant. Your review is well written!
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

Despite McDowell's considerable success, he lacked selflessness, which was very poor of him. He is a man of reality and facts as well, which was quite wonderful. The reviewer did a good job, which is appreciated.
Ama Ra Chi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

I love the character of McDowell but he wasn't the protagonist I expected.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

The rich also cry. This book is an accurate depiction of that statement. We see Mcdowell who even though is rich and has attained a considerable level of success and fame still has a lot of troubles.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

McDowell's achievement in life clouds how terrible his personality truly is. I hope Paigne is able to rip the mask off him and reveal his true nature. Nice review. I particularly enjoyed the book summary you wrote.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”