Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cindy Caroh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindy-caroh.html
Latest Review: The Eschatology of the Christian Era by L. D. Swift

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Cindy Caroh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fictional book that addresses various topics. The major ones are politics, magic, and religion. The book begins by addressing the political situation in the Land of the Princes, where the princes have started a war due to a desire for riches. Galen is forced to escape to Magnum, a town in Voulhire. Rowan welcomes Galen and assists him in settling into his new nation. The story also depicts malevolent leaders, such as Meldorath and Orlin, known for their poor leadership and evil actions. Meldorath is a popular subject in people's discussions, with most hoping that he died. Meldorath had committed suicide, according to Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire. However, only some were convinced. Among the towns of Voulhire, one of great interest was Hillport. Despite its great potential, it remained underdeveloped due to poor leadership from the two former lords, Meldorath and Orlin. It was later attacked by rebels, which caused a lot of tragedy. Regarding magicians, the likes of Meldorath and Alabaster used their magic to traumatize others. For religion, there were monks and priests who led people in religious activities.

There is a lot I liked about this novel. One of the significant strengths of the book was character development. To mention some, I enjoyed the way Rowan was humorous; he made everything he said appear funny, but there was a lot of sense in it. Lord Eldus impressed me with his humbleness, and he addressed his subjects with humility. I particularly enjoyed how he spoke to children. Tysz was vividly describing the appearance and disappearance of magicians, and I could get shocked. I could also feel the body language of some magicians, such as the one Beth was speaking to in the chamber. The writing style, especially the use of flashbacks, impressed me. It helped me comprehend certain characters, such as Meldorath, and the causes of Hillport's problems. The work was exceptionally well edited, with no grammatical errors.

I had one complaint about the book: I wouldn't say I liked how Galen Bray was portrayed. As the primary character, I anticipated most of the book's writing to revolve around him. He did, however, only take a little of the book.

I only had one problem with the work, which wasn't detrimental to my rating. I couldn't find any grammar errors, so I gave this novel 5 out of 5 stars.

Because this novel is about fantasy, I recommend it to fantasy fans. There is also enchantment, so if you enjoy anything magical, this is the book for you.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”