Review of Reconfigurement

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookworm694
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm694.html
Latest Review: The Golden Rhinoceros by Ranulfo

Review of Reconfigurement

Post by bookworm694 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead by E. Alan Fleischauer is a thought-provoking and insightful guide to help readers assess and reconfigure their lives at any stage. The book is divided into three sections, each focusing on a specific aspect of reconfiguring one's life. The first section explores the concept of reconfigurement and how it differs from traditional retirement planning. The second section delves into various factors impacting one's life, such as health, relationships, and finances. Finally, the third section provides practical guidance on how to plan for and execute a successful reconfigurement.

A very interesting aspect of the book is how it challenges the traditional notion of retirement. It encourages readers to think beyond the conventional retirement age and to consider how they can continue to pursue their passions and make meaningful contributions not only to society but also to themselves. Fleischauer emphasizes that reconfigurement is not about stopping work entirely but rather about finding new ways to work that align with one's core values and priorities. In that notion, the book is also structured logically, making it easy to follow as it unfolds and all the concepts mentioned are explained in detail.

Another fascinating aspect of the book lies in the writer's ability to connect with the reader, using a friendly and playful tone and writing style throughout the reconfiguration journey. The connection he establishes makes the experience and content of the book unique and much more enjoyable, especially compared to other books on the same theme. Additionally, E. Alan Fleischauer is a very relatable narrator and character in his book, who understands the daily experience of the average reader, as we can see on almost every page, such as "How cool is that? Now you won't need to show up at your neighbor's house for dinner!" (page 20) or "Crap! Sorry about my French, but we hate taxes, right?" (page 22).

Another positive example of the book's valuable insights is when Fleischauer discusses the importance of assessing one's core values when considering a reconfigurement. He argues that in doing so, it is easier to make decisions that are aligned with one's priorities and goals. To guide, he provides readers with a list of common values and prompts them to consider which ones resonate with them the most. This exercise can be a helpful starting point for readers who are unsure about what they want to achieve through reconfigurement.

However, one negative point about the book is that it can be overly prescriptive at times. While the practical guidance provided in the third section is helpful, some readers may find the book's tone too directive. For instance, Fleischauer recommends that readers should start planning for their reconfigurement at least five years before they plan to make any major changes. While this may be a useful guideline for some, it may not be feasible or necessary for everyone.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Not only because of its capturing writing and advice but also because of its impeccable editing, since I didn't identify any errors. I believe it would mostly appeal to adult readers who are approaching retirement age or are considering a major life change. However, I would not recommend this book to readers who are looking for a quick fix or a one-size-fits-all solution to their problems. Reconfigurement is a process that requires careful thought and planning, and this book serves as an excellent starting point for those who are willing to put in the effort. In addition, I would not recommend it to non-Americans, since the more practical or hands-on advice given in the book, as well as the basis on which it was written, is heavily based on the American culture, economic and legal system.

Reconfigurement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”