Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Duke of the Readom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duke-of-the-readom.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Duke of the Readom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Meldorath knew his ruler had to be stopped. The man who ruled his hometown was causing unbearable pain to everyone in his city. Meldorath took it upon himself to take out that ruler, and he became a hero in the eyes of the people. But Meldorath quickly became the enemy when the people discovered who he really was. He was different from what they thought he was. Now, they wanted him out. What did Meldorath do to become an enemy of the people? We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies answers that question. The story also talked about a young man who had successfully fled his country. Voulhire welcomed him like they did strangers. This young man was Galen. Galen was determined to enjoy his stay in this accommodating country. Unfortunately for him, he would discover that a dark cloud hung over the country. War was coming. Can Galen do anything to stop it?

I cannot imagine that anyone would hate this book. To say it was just awesome is to downplay Matthew Tysz's work. It was more than that. It was beautiful beyond comparison. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies gave me a story that captivated my heart and glued my eyes to its pages. I would love to follow Galen's adventures to the very end. And yes, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is not a standalone novel. It is the first book in the We are Voulhire series.

I am amazed by how well-detailed We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is. Matthew Tysz described everything well and made reading the novel enjoyable for me. I liked the descriptions of every event the most because they helped me see what every character was doing in my mind. I will give you an example of an event that was described so well in the next paragraph. I also liked the direction in which the story was going.

Another thing I liked in We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is how Meldorath displayed his powers. The way Matthew Tysz described how he took out the sitting ruler of his hometown was golden. It was very descriptive, and I loved that. Meldorath seemed like an unstoppable man who could not be bested no matter how hard anyone tried. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed for someone who will put him in his place. I believe many surprises will be seen in the series, which is why I cannot wait to read all the other books in this series.

Reading We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies can never be a waste of time. And yes, I will read it again and as many times as my heart desires. There was nothing for me to dislike in it. It is true that questions about Rowan's past, Meldorath's crimes, and Galen's past experiences were not answered by Matthew Tysz. But I understand why he did not do that. I was not expecting him to lay all his cards on the table in the first installment of the We are Voulhire series. That would have been a bad move. Anyway, this book was edited excellently, and for that, it deserves a point. It deserves even more points for being a book with superb character and plot development, suspense, and mind-puzzling twists. I, therefore, rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

As far as negative aspects go, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies did not have any that I know of. I have said what I liked about this novel. If you disagree with my comments on it, that is okay, but that does not change the fact that I think it is one of the best introductions to a fantasy series that has ever been written. If you like fantasy series about people who live in a land with a huge ticking time bomb under it, you should give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies a read. I recommend it to you because I know you will like it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”