Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"I had but one ambition: to serve Africa." (page 203)

A Dream for Peace: A Memoir by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah recounts the author's life as a peace advocate, freedom fighter, public servant, diplomat, and special advisor to Côte d'Ivoire President, Félix Houphouët-Boigny.

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah was born in Algeria at the time that his country was annexed by France. The French colonization brought racism and colonialism to his homeland. In his childhood, he witnessed how cruel and biased the French ruled. The Arabs, including Ghoulem, were maltreated and subjected to racism while the French enjoyed the privilege. Dr. Berrah excelled in school and gained a scholarship to study medicine in France. As a student in France, he was involved in many revolutionary organizations, including the Front de libération Nationale (FLN) and the General Union of Algerian Muslim Students (UGEMA), to name a few, whose advocacy was to liberate their people.

During his adulthood, he dedicated his time to serving African people. Being a presidential advisor to President Houphouët-Boigny involved him on many occasions aiming for peace, justice, and freedom for African countries, including Algeria.

This lengthy book deserves praise. Dr. Berrah was remarkable for his time. His existence simply aspires to the goodness of Africans. The inclusion of images, including his certificates of excellence, prominent leaders' meet-ups, projects, and "wedding and travel" pictures, made the book authentic and engrossing. His "father-son" relationship with President Houphouët-Boigny was admirable. They team up for beautiful major projects in the country, including "Our Lady of Peace Basilica" and "Riviera Mosque." The pictures were historic and gorgeous. I like Berrah's tolerance of many religions. It shows in their living situation with his wife, Titi, because she is a devoted Catholic while he is a Muslim. He was so supportive of his wife. I love the "Murky Waters of Love" chapter, which depicts their against-all-odds love story, which succeeds in the end.

One thing that makes the book slightly less quality is the blurred images. I would appreciate it if it was edited and perfected. The French words and the Arab names were also hard to pronounce, but these uncomplimentary aspects never lessened the importance of the book; it was informative and educative.

This 644-page book has only two minor mistakes, evidence of its professional editing. I love to rate A Dream for Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah 5 out of 5 stars because, by reading this outstanding book, I learned the history of Algeria and some of its neighboring countries in Africa. I also know that someone somewhere dedicated his life to peace and justice for his people, like the author.

This understandable and delightful book is highly recommended to historians, political memoir lovers, and people interested in the 1950s to 1980s living standards of African nations.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

I've seen so many reviews on this particular book. I guess it's good enough.
Amazing review 👏👏
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

It sheds light on historical racism and also African history, I love it. You put in so much work into this review, great work.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Ifechi Angela wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 10:17 I've seen so many reviews on this particular book. I guess it's good enough.
Amazing review 👏👏
Thank you for commenting, Angela.😊💛
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Khriscee1 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 20:10 It sheds light on historical racism and also African history, and I love it. You put so much work into this review, great work.
Thank you, Khriscee. :tiphat:
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Some people were really born to be conduits of peace. Dr. Berrah truly served humanity. Great review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

ElinaT wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 00:29 Some people were really born to be conduits of peace. Dr. Berrah truly served humanity. Great review!
100% true! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, ElinaT.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I was debating on reading this memoir; its political nature made me hesitate to read it, afraid it would be boring, but your review has certainly sold me on this book; you make it look perfect. I can tell how much you thought highly of it from your writing. Your review is exquisite; excellent job! 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 17:36 I was debating on reading this memoir; its political nature made me hesitate to read it, afraid it would be boring, but your review has certainly sold me on this book; you make it look perfect. I can tell how much you thought highly of it from your writing. Your review is exquisite; excellent job! 
Thank you so much, Omneya. This book is fully loaded.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

His story is so inspiring! Your review is just amazing! I am touched by his devotion to his wife.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Dr. Berrah lived an incredible life and I'm glad you enjoyed reading his memoir. Thanks for the detailed review.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Beautiful review! A life of promoting peace, justice and freedom for your people is so admirable. I think many modern advocates could learn a lot from Dr. Berrah's memoir. Too bad the pictures are not clearer.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 13:00 His story is so inspiring! Your review is just amazing! I am touched by his devotion to his wife.
Thank you so much, Sara for your kind comment! Yes, I adore their love story, it was worth fighting.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Jane Omollo wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 13:04 Dr. Berrah lived an incredible life and I'm glad you enjoyed reading his memoir. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thank you, Jane. I agree! His life was full of genuine service.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Patty Allread wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 15:50 Beautiful review! A life promoting peace, justice, and freedom for your people is so admirable. I think many modern advocates could learn a lot from Dr. Berrah's memoir. Too bad the pictures are not clearer.
Thank you, Patty! Definitely a lot! I think due to how old the picture was taken, that's why some are not clear.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”