Review of Waterworks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MKJWMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkjwmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman

Review of Waterworks

Post by MKJWMcB »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Waterworks by Jack Winnick certainly works with water and not necessarily always in a good way. The story is full of suspense and outlines a fictional event that could kill millions and could, indeed, be a real terrorist threat. Winnick outlines the situation both from the protagonist and from the antagonist point of view. This is the fifth novel in the Lara and Uri series but is a standalone novel and the author quickly introduces all the characters easily and thoroughly.

The action begins on the first page and does not stop until the end! Lara and Uri are finally resting and relaxing from their previous exploits which were thrilling and dangerous but they had triumphed every time while falling in love as well. It is a relaxing and restorative visit to the Edmond (Lara’s family) farm and family when they each receive emergency calls to come back to work immediately. There is something killing fish and birds in the Los Angeles area.

Lara and Uri arrive and immediately report to find some folks they have previously worked with so they know, trust and most importantly, believe that they are the perfect team to disguise themselves and infiltrate the government that is backing the evil plan that is afoot. For about three weeks as their background is developed, they study their roles and the jobs they hope to secure while on undercover assignment, and their disguises are designed and put into place so these two top operatives can be successful.

As Lara and Uri work to meet their challenges the author switches the narrative to let the reader know the plot of the antagonists. He lets the reader in on who exactly is involved, why they are doing these dastardly deeds and we get to read an outline of the entire plan. The plan is very dangerous and intricate for both sides and both sets of operatives. The characters are pretty understandable and realistic. One character I particularly liked was a very minor one with a bit role to play although they probably did not even know that they were so important knowing the information they shared.

I appreciate the authors knowledge of military and security procedures and personnel as well as security forces hierarchy in various countries and regions. Something I really appreciated in this book was Lara’s role as she really came through right until the end. It seems that only men were involved in the planning and execution of this diabolical plot but it is women who bring the action to a climax and a resolution.

Something I did not really appreciate in this story was how one character seemed to drop their operative demeanor and that misstep leads to their capture. You will enjoy reading this book to find out how they are saved. And the story does not end there! The action moves to another location and the main characters all meet again!

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. Even though this is the fifth book in the series it is an excellent read and could easily inspire you to read the other four books. The book seems professionally edited containing no noticeable errors. The action really does start on the first page and pulls you into the story as this is an adventure with many intricate twists and turns. This book could scare some people. Although it is fiction it describes events that could potentially become a real terrorist threat. There is some violence in this book and some death so younger readers may want to choose a different book.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
King Nyebuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-nyebuchi.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by King Nyebuchi »

"It's a book about perilous adventures, and I believe I'll enjoy it. Thank you for the review!"
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

What an exceptional review! I really enjoy your writing style and the things you paying attention at while reading. Have you take a look to the first 4 books? I would love to read your reviews about them too!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”