Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leane Muller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leane-muller.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Leane Muller »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This is a historic novel that plays off in a country called Voulhire, in a universe where magic exists. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has many point of views throughout the book. The readers get to see Voulhire through many ways in different places. Voulhire faces many challenges, from the past catching up, to adapting to new situations, to enemies waiting to strike.

This is a good book from the We are Voulhire series. The world of magic is unique and the multiverse comes through well closer to the end of the book. There are also many moments of unexpected events that threw my expectations off track, and I mean it as a good thing.

As an independent book, I would say it is incomplete. There are many missing pieces that I feel could be found in previous books and in the books following, for example a better introduction to the characters. As a book part of a series, it is very good and started with a lot of suspense. I think if I read the book(s) before this one I would have a different understanding and opinion of this specific book.

I feel that there were too many point of views going on in this book. Especially in the beginning, it was like all the characters had to be memorized from the character page for me to be able to piece everything together. I had to go back to the character page a few times to confirm the characters' roles. I also feel that because of all the point of views that are there, the book is too short. All of the the events happened in different places, but in a very small timeframe.

I am rating this book a 3 out of 5. I am not giving it a 4 or 5 out of 5 because of my above mentioned opinions. This book is very good and has a lot of potential, but I wasn't as captivated as I would have liked to be when I read this book. I would really recommend other readers to read the whole series instead of reading this book independently, and I think I would really enjoy reading the entire series myself. Matthew Tysz is an amazing, creative writer.

I recommend this book to adults who enjoy historical and fictional stories about magic and rulers with enemies.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”