Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Not available anymore »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine Anna Pepe have 153 pages and are a fictional book with 27 chapters. Although a work of fiction, this book was inspired by the author's life with her brother Donny, who has Down syndrome.

The book starts with an announcement about Donny missing in a zoo; his sister Mary Grace was in the zoo with him, along with their parents, and after the information of his missing was made by the zoo official, his sister Mary Grace, his mother, and his father were distraught. Looking at the picture their father took of them earlier after a photo of Donny at the train, Mary Grace, his sister, guessed where he could be because she was brilliant, and because she knew her brother loved trains, she assumed he could be on the train. Was Donny really on the train? Or did he get lost roaming around the zoo? Or perhaps he tried to enter an alligator's pool? Read this book to find out.

One thing I like about this book is the character of Mrs. Miller, who happens to be Mary Grace's mother. I like how she handled Mary Grace and communicated with her well. I also like how she allowed her to shop for her clothes and pick clothes based on what she wanted; she didn't try to impose her dress style on her daughter. I also like the character Mary Grace; for a young girl, she was very patient and always took her time to answer her brother's questions, though she could have been better. I like how the author included her reactions to situations, which made the book very realistic. I also liked the illustrations contained in the book.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was the relationship between father Randall and Bill, who was referred to as his husband, which I found pretty disturbing because some parents are against homosexuality, and having it in this book may make kids think it's not a bad thing, which may contradict the beliefs their parents have instilled in them. Because of this, I rate the book four out of five stars. The book is exceptionally well-edited, and I found no errors while reading it.

I recommend this book to older siblings of people with Down syndrome, especially children, because, from the book, they will better understand the condition and learn from Mary Grace and her family how to love them unconditionally. This book will teach many children kindness. Children suffering from bullying will also learn from it.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Interesting! Most kids with Down syndrome feel bad about themselves, they often get depressive thoughts and that is detrimental to their health. I guess the reason why Donny left was because of that, but I can't find out without reading the novel. Interesting write-up.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I like the fact that this book is centered on Donny who has Down syndrome. This book will spread awareness and also educate children on Down syndrome. Great review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

I liked Mary-Grace for being a good big sister. She was always there 4 Donny. She protected him, played with him, and loved him very much. Great review.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Alot of kids who are different from encounter unfair treatments from folks at home and school. The need to love and care for such people is very paramount to their happiness. This book is very educating.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love the relationship between Mary Grace and her little brother, Donny. She made sure to protect him from harm. She’s quite a lovely big sister.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

Stories like the one depicted in this book are exemplary of how siblings ought to bond. I like the way the whole family showered Donny with love. It was an exciting read.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I have this book on my list and can't wait to read it. I didn't realize it was based on a true story. It sounds like Mary Grace is a loving big sister, and I look forward to meeting her and Donny. Thank you for your take on this read!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Family is everything and sticks together irrespective of d situation. I am happy that this story re-affirms the strong bond between families. Wonderful review, well done.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Love is the best medication to children with disabilities. Especially love from home nothing conquers that. For me this book is not ment for only children both adults are involved.
Edibo Suzan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edibo Suzan »

Love and affection is the number one ways to discribe a family ❤️
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I haven't read this book but I have read a lot of reviews on it. I like how the siblings stood by each other and the morale in the book. Well done.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

Nice review you have here👏 but us this a children's book? From your review, I think it's a health book

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”