Review of Dear Abigail

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Dear Abigail

Post by E Daves »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dear Abigail" by Richard Rees.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Richard recounts to Abigail the amusing tale of how he first came to know her father, Ian. It's a surprising twist of fate, as Ian was significantly younger than Richard's daughter, Carys. Before even meeting Ian, Carys was faced with a health issue. She learned that she had developed benign ovarian cysts, and with a history of ovarian cancer in her mother's family, she was at an elevated risk. To take precautionary measures, Carys made sure to schedule frequent check-ups with her physician. Following a medical recommendation, Carys and Ian tied the knot without a prolonged engagement, as Carys needed to undergo a hysterectomy by the age of 30. Why is Richard writing to Abigail about all these? Find out when you read this book.

This book is a real treasure that I simply couldn't put down. I was thoroughly impressed by several aspects of it. First, the author's writing style was truly exceptional. Despite the personal nature of the book, the author's skill and experience as a writer were evident. Secondly, the book starts on a somber note, but as you progress through it, you embark on an emotional journey with the author.

Dear Abigail has captured my heart. It elicited a wide range of emotions from me, including laughter, tears, and envy for Richard's profound love for his daughter and granddaughter, which prompted him to pen this letter. This book is sure to leave a lasting impression on its readers, and I'm glad that Abigail will now have the opportunity to learn about her mother's side of the family. Richard's unwavering love for his daughter is truly special. I was also touched by Richard's respectful approach to writing the letter, even after Ian had remarried and had another child. Despite this, Ian remains Abigail's father, and it is evident that Carys would want the best for him. It's important to consider the impact of our actions on those around us, especially our children and grandchildren.

This book was a thrilling experience from start to finish, filled with twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat. This book will tug at your heartstrings with a mixture of sad, funny, and heartwarming incidents. The author's poignant memories of joy and sadness are expertly woven together. I found nothing to dislike about it. It was a true emotional rollercoaster for me, and at times, I felt a strong urge to intervene and prevent certain events from happening. Given the lack of anything negative, I would give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about family themes or has experienced the loss of a loved one. The book's professional editing is evident, as I encountered only a few errors in the entire book.

Dear Abigail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

This is a very touching book that explores a difficult topic in a heartfelt and genuine way. The author's love for his family shines through on every page. I appreciate that you included specific details about the book that made it stand out. Your review highlights the unique qualities and strengths of the book, making it stand out from other works.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

I see that you acknowledged the author's simple vocabulary and sincere recollections, which make the book easy to understand and relatable. Your review recognizes the importance of accessibility and authenticity in storytelling.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

You did an excellent job of capturing the essence of the book and conveying it to the reader. I appreciate that you included specific details about the book that made it stand out. Your review makes me want to recommend this book to others.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I love how you mentioned that the book is relatable for anyone who has lost a loved one. It shows that the book has universal appeal. Your recommendation of the book to those who love family-themed stories is spot on, and it makes me even more interested in reading it.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Your review was so well written that I feel like I already know the characters in the book. I appreciate your honesty in admitting that the book was an emotional rollercoaster, which shows just how powerful it is.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

This review showcased your emotional investment in the story, which made it all the more compelling to read. I appreciate that you took the time to highlight the author's writing style and how it added to the overall quality of the book.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley

Post by Salome Ogani »

Your attention to the author's memories of his loved ones made me feel even more invested in the story. Your review highlighted the author's strength and resilience in the face of such loss, which is truly inspiring.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

Your review made me appreciate the power of storytelling and how it can help us cope with loss and grief. Thank you for writing such a thoughtful and insightful review of Dear Abigail by Richard Rees. It has definitely piqued my interest in the book.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I love how your review made me feel like I was reading a personal letter from a grandparent to their grandchild. Your attention to detail and the depth of your analysis made me feel like I was reading the book alongside you.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

Your recommendation of the book to those who have lost a loved one shows just how impactful the book can be. Your review was so well written that it made me want to write my own letter to a loved one.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I appreciate your attention to detail in mentioning the book's professional editing and how it added to the overall quality of the book. Your review was so convincing that I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Dear Abigail.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

I appreciate that you acknowledged the emotional weight of the book while still highlighting its positive aspects. Your review recognizes the complexity and nuance of the book, striking a balance between the emotional gravity of the story and its uplifting qualities.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”