Review of 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ClaireD
Currently Reading: Interview with the Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claired.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Review of 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir

Post by ClaireD »

[Following is a volunteer review of "28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir" by Poppy Mortimer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you perpetually single? Have you been on some truly awful dates? Do you want to commiserate with someone who gets it? Then this is the book for you. 28 Disastrous Dates by Poppy Mortimer is an easy and fun read that takes the reader on a journey through the author's dating experiences throughout her 20s and 30s. Each chapter starts out with a synopsis of the author's age, location, and how she and her date met, which provides a unique and interesting structure to the book. Readers get a glimpse into the dating scene in the United Kingdom, Australia, and Los Angeles as they’re taken along for the ride on some horrible, terrible dates. As the book goes on you see the author grow, learn how to stand up for herself, and only accept what she deserves, inspiring all women to do the same.

This book has a lot of good in it. It’s very easy to read (great “brain candy” as I like to say) but it still makes you think and reflect about your own life and love. As a woman in my 20s, I related to many of Mortimer’s bad online dating experiences, especially her stories of men not looking like their pictures, men lying about who they are, and (unfortunately) unwanted advances.

The author also has such a strong voice that comes through in her writing and I would love to hear this as an audio book narrated by her. She uses lots of short sentences and interjections to break up the storytelling and add color and personality to the book. As you read, you feel like Mortimer is directly talking to you like a girlfriend you’re catching up with over a drink.

There are also aspects of 28 Disastrous Dates that I didn’t like. I wanted more depth from the author — I didn’t care very much about her as a narrator, and I would have preferred she spend more time revealing her soul to the readers. Sometimes the humor doesn’t hit quite right and can be cheesy. The lessons provided at the end of each chapter are often surface level and a bit cliche. Additionally, there is some mild fatphobia present in the book. This book could benefit from more depth and nuance in its exploration of dating and gender roles.

Overall, 28 Disastrous Dates is a quick and entertaining read but isn’t a groundbreaking memoir. I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars, and I’d recommend it to women in their 20s or 30s looking for a fun and easy read.

28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”