Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ix'ises was born into a happy family and had a secure childhood even though their family was not deeply religious. She had questioned God's power since she was a child, and her lamb had fallen into a well and died. Job had loved her since he had watched her enter this world at age five. Job's family was religious and believed in animal sacrifices to thank God for their blessings. Job and Ix'ises never knew what it was like not to have what they needed to survive and be happy. They get married, and their life is filled with more abundance, and they and their ten children enjoy life living in a mansion and helping those less fortunate than themselves. One day, their perfect life tumbles around them as they lose everything, including their children. Then one day, Job returns home deathly ill, and knowing she can do nothing for him, she cries, "Curse God and die." Did they deserve to lose everything? Will Ix'ises and Job recover from the tragedy? Read The Legacy of Job's Wife: A Story of Love and Forgiveness by Cynthia Koelker to learn more about their story.

As the subtitle states, this story is based on an actual Bible story about love and forgiveness. Cynthia Koelker pulled on my heartstrings with the thought of losing my children and everything I love. I could empathize with Ix'ises's anger with God in her grief. Her inability to eat or want to live was easy to visualize. As Ix'ises said, she was "a childless mother, like a hen searching vainly for her stolen chicks." This book gave me a lot to think about, especially the homeless situation that plagues society today. Homelessness would not exist if everyone followed Job's example. I also appreciated the role families played in this biblical story. No matter how far apart a family may live, they should be able to rely on each other. I enjoyed the suspense in this book. For example, I held my breath when Ix'ises was almost betrothed to the wrong man because she misunderstood what her father told her.

This romantic tale has no flaws or anything I would change about it. It closely follows the original story in the Bible, and its plot flows smoothly throughout the book. The animal sacrifices in this story were not something I enjoyed reading about, but they were common during biblical times, which made them appropriate for this story.

I found only a few minor errors in this book that did not distract from my reading enjoyment. I saw no reason not to give this professionally edited book less than a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars.

If you enjoy reading romance novels based on stories from the Bible, or if at any time in your life, you have become angry and cursed God, then you are the audience I recommend this book to. If you have no tolerance for religion and do not believe in the Bible, you may want to avoid this book.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

No one seems to realize that she lost everything right along with Job. I’ve heard this story since I was a child and just recently figured that out. She also didn’t really believe, so cursing God probably wasn’t a big deal to her.
Muskan Afzal-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-afzal.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta

Post by Muskan Afzal- »

Readers are definitely encouraged to take up this book by this review. We appreciate your evaluation of this book and sharing its advantages with everyone.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”