Review of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Review of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Post by Bianca Morano »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" by P D Botha.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been curious about our origin? If you are looking for answers to your questions about the origin and evolution of life, then Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow – Evolution and the Noosphere is just the right book for you. P D Botha talked about certain scientific topics ranging from the creation of the universe; such as cosmogenesis, planetogenesis, and geogenesis. Then explaining the evolutionary process of life itself; which are about biogenesis, and homogenesis. Creation and evolution of life did not only develop in a physical and biological way, but also in a psychological and spiritual way. Which are mentioned as noogenesis, and christogenesis in the book.

I like the chapter sequence of the book. It was organized in order to make a correlation between different ideas in different timeframes, namely the past, present, and future. As we all know, science and religion are like oil and water. Well, that’s not the case when it comes to this book. It is a combination of both worlds, between the material (science) and the intangible (spiritual). Although humanities is a branch of science, they are differentiated as a separate study from the natural sciences.

The pacing of the book is easy to follow. The writing used simple words. Each chapter is well-written with coherent facts and explanations. One of the scientific facts that impressed me the most is about the brightest star in the Universe, the Sun. It has a diameter of 1 389 750 kilometers. In its centre is a nucleus of about 130 000 kilometers in diameter where the gas is so densely pressed together, that the density is ten times that of lead (page 44). The sun also has an internal magnetic field that extends from north to south (top to bottom).

The highlight of the book: the Noosphere is an interesting concept that will be elaborated further in the book that I encourage the readers to focus on. It's important to give awareness of the negative effects of evolutionary development in the Noosphere (page 294). The author did not only address the social issues but also offered solutions and to take action. I agree about the Covid-19 topic which mentioned that "the overall damage caused by the lockdown measures has been tens of times greater than that caused by the virus" (page 260).

The aspect I dislike about the book is the struggle to absorb all the scientific facts. The redundancy of information made it tedious and difficult to continue reading. I find it a bit controversial regarding the author's sentiment about the abuse of vaccination usage, as it was proclaimed as a murder weapon or a subtle form of genocide to decrease the human population (page 305).

The author expressed his belief and faith in God. While it’s inclined toward the Christian doctrine, the message of the book about the belief in only one God should strive as an ideal. It promotes a good moral values system. Between science and faith, which side to believe in or whatever conclusion depends on the reader at the end. The book was professionally edited, for I have only encountered a few typos.

I rate Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow a 4 out of 5 stars. The reason for this rating is already mentioned above. Overall, I am amazed and grateful for the effort put into this book.

I recommend this book to people of all ages. It best appeals to readers, young or old, who are into science, spirituality, religion, and also philosophy. From reading it, you can expect to learn a lot about science, and theology, with a little mix of existentialism.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

A solid review. I think you must have covered just about every word ending with genesis in that opening paragraph. Noosphere was a new term for me.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

Rob Carr wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 08:28 A solid review. I think you must have covered just about every word ending with genesis in that opening paragraph. Noosphere was a new term for me.
I'm sorry about the poor writing, I should've described it better. I'm still learning about it. Indeed, so do I. I just discovered the term Noosphere for the first time after reading the book. Thank you for commenting!
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Bianca Morano wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 11:09
Rob Carr wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 08:28 A solid review. I think you must have covered just about every word ending with genesis in that opening paragraph. Noosphere was a new term for me.
I'm sorry about the poor writing, I should've described it better. I'm still learning about it. Indeed, so do I. I just discovered the term Noosphere for the first time after reading the book. Thank you for commenting!
I wasn't meaning to describe your writing as poor at all! I enjoyed your review.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”